• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

The Boxing Thread

bruin

Deontay Wilder defends his WBC Heavyweight title tonight on Showtime against easily his toughest opponent yet in Luis Ortiz. Showtime telecast begins at 6PT/9ET.

Also, HBO has a card starting at 7PT/10 ET in a solid Light Heavyweight title fight in champion Dmitry Bivol against Sullivan Barrera.

bruin

Anthony Joshua picked himself up off the deck to beat Klitschko in dramatic fashion. Wilder was seriously hurt in the 7th last night and came back to stop Ortiz late.

Wilder will be ringside in Cardiff later this month for Joshua-Parker. Let’s hope it gets made for the summer.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
Anthony Joshua picked himself up off the deck to beat Klitschko in dramatic fashion. Wilder was seriously hurt in the 7th last night and came back to stop Ortiz late.

Wilder will be ringside in Cardiff later this month for Joshua-Parker. Let’s hope it gets made for the summer.

Gonna have to happen in UK, right? Wilder draws 16K last night and Joshua is getting 80K+. Saw Wilder made 2.1m last night. He's gotta be itching to make some real money.

bruin

Gonna have to happen in UK, right? Wilder draws 16K last night and Joshua is getting 80K+. Saw Wilder made 2.1m last night. He's gotta be itching to make some real money.

I’m guessing Vegas. Would be Joshua’s first fight in the States. But, Wilder would go to the UK, if they needed to. He even went to Russia to fight Povetkin.

bruin

Unification Heavyweight title fight on Showtime on Saturday on 2:00 PT.

Anthony Joshua is defending his IBF, WBA, and IBO titles against Joseph Parker the WBO champ. Fight will be from Cardiff.

bruin

Styles make fights. AJ was a little too passive for me, but boxed well. Was weary of Parker's quick hands and strong jab. Thought Parker hurt Joshua twice in the fight while Joshua never really got off.

Ref was awful. Shouldn't ref another title for for a while.

Wilder/Joshua makes too much sense right now. The dream would for it to be in the fall whether in Vegas or the UK. But unfortunately won't likely happen till 2019.

bruin

GGG/Canelo rematch for May 5th has been canceled. Canelo popped for PED's. GGG will still fight on Cinco De Mayo. Replacement to be named soon.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Watching the Anthony Dirrell - Abie Han fight, and it nearly turned into a real "fight" (as in, Dirrell tried to tackle and ground/pound Han in the 5th).

Han is the hometown favorite, but Dirrell is clearly the superior fighter, and Han is looking utterly outclassed.

bruin

Noiiice.

Maybe you can be present when ICE detains and then deports both of them.

giphy.gif

7/10.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Landed GGG-Martirosyan tickets through my work next weekend at StubHub Center.

Vamos.

So, how was it, @bruin? I mean, atmosphere-wise and such?

Even though the main event was over in 5 minutes, it was still a fun fight, as Martirosyan certainly came out fighting.

What did you think of the female match undercard? Why were they booing Braekhus?

bruin

Atmosphere-wise, it was pretty electric. Golovkin is a bonafide rock star in Southern California, as I’m sure you’re aware. Would say 98% of The fans walking around wore GGG gear. Many homeland fans from Kazakhstan made the trip, and I was taken back by how many rancheros love the middleweight champ from Central Asia.

StubHub is a very cool place to watch a fight. They let you tailgate, and my co worker and I were able to land in the Tecate pre-party that was over looking the soccer stadium. Got to chat with HOF’er Marco Antonio Barrera for 5 min which was pretty rad.

We caught only the last few rounds of the female fight in our seats, but watching it on the TV’s from outside the tents it seemed a lot closer than the judges cards indicated. And yeah, there were some heavy boos towards Braekhus.

Pretty cool short vid here on sat night from GGG’s YouTube channel.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I think GGG is popular among the messicans because, well - he fights like a Mexican boxer. None of that pussy-ass Mayweather or Whitaker style of dodge, dodge, dodge and outpoint your opponent - just stand in there and trade heavy blows until the weaker man falls.

bruin

Lomachenko vs Linares on ESPN tomorrow 5PT/8ET for Linares' WBA Lightweight title.

Last edited:

bruin

@BasinBictory

Check out this Japanese fighter they call "The Monster". Naoya Inoue won his third world title (108 lbs, 115 lbs, now at 118 lbs) Friday morning against WBA regular champ Jamie McDonell from the UK. Fight was in Japan and streamed live on ESPN+. Kid has welterweight power at bantamweight and probably is the #1 p4p fighter in the world (yes, even ahead of Lomachenko)

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
@BasinBictory

Check out this Japanese fighter they call "The Monster". Naoya Inoue won his third world title (108 lbs, 115 lbs, now at 118 lbs) Friday morning against WBA regular champ Jamie McDonell from the UK. Fight was in Japan and streamed live on ESPN+. Kid has welterweight power at bantamweight and probably is the #1 p4p fighter in the world (yes, even ahead of Lomachenko)

The link on ur post was borcked, but I found it anyway on YouTube.

Very impressive power this guy has. Fun to watch the lighter weight class fighters, too. Generally a lot more action in those bouts.

bruin

streaming Tyson Fury's comeback fight on Showtime's youtube channel.:laughing:

Mo Hooker, a native of dallas just went to Manchester and beat Terry Flanagan for the vacant WBO 140 title via decision. Viva hooker.

Last edited:

bruin

Good fight that opens tonight’s Golden Boy ESPN 2 telecast at 5:30 PT/8:30 EST. Featherweights Edgar Valerio vs Manny Robles. Both undefeated prospects from Los Angeles with the biggest fight in their careers. Nothing really on tonight so check it out if you want.

bruin

Best welterweight in the world in 5 min on showtime. Errol Spence Jr the IBF champ in the main event. It’s at the Cowboys practice facility. 15k expected

bruin

Errol Spence is a monster.

He vs Terence Crawford would be between the most talented/in-prime welterweight title fight since De La Hoya/Trinidad?

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Just finished watching Josh Taylor - Victor Postol. Super Lightweights at 140, this fight was fun as hell. Both guys went after each other with a lot of action and ferocity.

bruin

Golden Boy card tonight at 5 PT on ESPN2. Vergil Ortiz Jr. is a really nice looking prospect at 140.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Those scorecards...typical home cooking in Europe

Yeah really. It's why Postol was going so hard in the last couple of rounds - he knew he'd be jobbed unless he scored a KO.

He already had been knocked down anyway, and likely would have lost the fight regardless, but I thought he won a fair share of the rounds before he got knocked down

bruin

Top Rank card on ESPN tonight at 6:00 PT. Co-main even could steal the show. Jr. Welterweight fight between undefeated Alex Saucedo and Leonardo Zappavigna.

bruin

Anthony Joshua and Hearn announced this morning the next two fights for him in the UK. Povetkin surely likely in Sept and please god hopefully Wilder in April.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Pacquiao-Matthysse saturday night on ESPN+ for Matthysse's WBA (Regular) welterweight title @BasinBictory

Fight is in Malaysia. Biggest even they've had there in years, obviously.

Getting to the point where someone, anyone - needs to tell Pac-Man to hang them up. He is already a sitting congressman, and reportedly taking this fight only because of the large paycheck he will earn.

I was as surprised as anybody when Horn beat him, but watching the fight, I do think that Horn won that victory by being the more aggressive fighter. I think Pacquiao's much more cautious style has hurt him - not because other boxers are actually getting the better of him, but because the judges are judging this new Pacquiao against the old Pacquiao, who fought like a wildcat with a box of lit firecrackers strapped to his back.

I think if Pacquiao fights like he has in recent fights - IOW, trying to emulate Mayweather's style of out-pointing and out-lasting his opponent, rather than trying to knock him the fuck out - Pacquiao loses another (controversial) decision.

However, Matthysse ain't a nobody, and has dangerous punching power. He hasn't faced a boxer of Pacquiao's caliber, either, but this is an aged, distracted Pacquiao, and not the Pacquiao of a decade ago.

bruin

Check out the ESPN card from New Orleans tomorrow that starts at 4 PT. Main Event is Regis Prograis. Undefeated southpaw jr. welterweight fighting in his hometown and is a bad ass. Wins this and gets a title shot.

Afterwords the PacMan card starts on ESPN+

bruin

Pac Man looked the best he had been in years. Matthysse is likely done, but Manny was still impressive. Uppercut in the 7th did it for his first TKO win in 9 years.

Last edited:

bruin

Mikey Garcia fights Saturday night at Staples Center in a lightweight unification title fight. Garcia (WBC) champ vs Robert Easter (IBF) champ from Ohio.

On showtime at 7:00 PT.