• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
The problem is, they’re losing a good track in Azerbaijan to put on this race. Get rid of Sochi or some other shitshow. Yas Marina is another shitty track, but F1 has to have that UAE money.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
With that said, it’s good to see a German and French race on the calendar again. Hopefully Paul Ricard puts on as good of a race as Magny Cours.

Bdub

I really like the Azerbaijan race. This race in Miami will most likely suck. Definitely good to have a race in Germany.

Bdub

It's been a long time since I drove those roads, but from what I remember that looks like a really boring track.

Bdub

People excited to have bump day back. Now people pissed off Hinch got bumped. So glad to have bump day back. This is what makes Indy so awesome. No matter who you are you have to earn your way into the race.

Bdub

Apparently no one is willing to give up their seat yet. I don't understand the love for Hinch at all. I mean he seems like a nice guy, but he isn't that great of a driver. Mid pack at best in my opinion.
Can't believe Danica qualifying top 10. She should have never went to NASCAR.

Bdub

Same reason Sam Hornish went.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You make more running 25th in NASCAR than winning in Indycar.
Yeah makes sense. I'm glad Danica didn't stay in Indycar, but she is certainly much much better in an Indycar. Not many drivers excel in stock cars and open wheel cars. Even as good as JPM was, he didn't succeed in NASCAR.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I think he didn't succeed mainly because he was on a crappy team. That 42 team sucked. He fairly consistently put that car in the top 10, where it had no business being.

Put Montoya in a Hendrick or Penske car and I think he has probably 10-15 wins in that same time frame instead of the 2 or 3 he ended up with.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
All the fast drivers end up doing that. He did it in F1 a couple of times too, although BMW helped a little in that category.

Senna crashing out in the lead at Monaco, Gordon's missed shifts on restarts while leading, etc.

Bdub

I think all drivers do it. You just don't realize it when they are mid pack drivers or back markers.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
hqdefault.jpg

goblue96

Monaco GP: Sky TV announcers - great announce team
Indy 500: Good announce team in their last year calling the 500 for ABC (ABC's coverage that's a different story)

World 600: Darrell and Michael Waltrip

giphy.gif

Bdub

Monaco GP: Sky TV announcers - great announce team
Indy 500: Good announce team in their last year calling the 500 for ABC (ABC's coverage that's a different story)

World 600: Darrell and Michael Waltrip

giphy.gif
The Sky TV guys are so good. Just goes to show how bad it is for Motor Sports in this country. The ABC Indycar crew is trash. It's like they are trying to announce to someone who has never seen a race before. I think it's fair to say if you are watching an Indycar race you are not tuning in for your first race ever. So give me some technical details. The nascar announcing right now is the exact same way. I really liked the old NBC Sports crew. Hobbs and Matchett would really get into the details of the cars and why they were doing the things they did. Motor Sports are so niche in this country, if you are watching you probably know a fair amount about cars and racing.

goblue96

Glad I'm not alone in thinking this is stupid. Also the Waltrips announcing is like having 2 old guys BS for 4 hours. I have no idea what is actually happening in the race.

I completely gave up on the race and seeing Deadpool 2 with the missus.

goblue96

Memorial Day Lead Changes:

Monaco GP: 0
World 600: 4
Indy 500: 30 (though a lot of thwaw seemed to be changes during green flag pit stops)

:turrible:

Bdub

Memorial Day Lead Changes:

Monaco GP: 0
World 600: 4
Indy 500: 30 (though a lot of thwaw seemed to be changes during green flag pit stops)

:turrible:
It was so hot at Indy, that combined with the new aero package made it hard to drive in traffic. Tires don't get much grip when you have track temps in the 130s. It was good to see the drivers challenged though and they couldn't just floor it around the track.

Bdub

Lawd nascar is broken. The Indy 500 had 24% more viewers than the 600 this year. NASCAR is in trouble when more people are watching Indycar.

goblue96

I said it last year and I'll say it again....Mike Bagley is a huge plus to NBC's coverage for Watkins Glen. Junior is badly exposed by himself in the Bus Stop. You can hear the difference in "ad lib" experience between Bagley and Junior.

gilstein21

I said it last year and I'll say it again....Mike Bagley is a huge plus to NBC's coverage for Watkins Glen. Junior is badly exposed by himself in the Bus Stop. You can hear the difference in "ad lib" experience between Bagley and Junior.
Sounds like an old mrn broadcast at the start which is nice. Guy was hyped with that early action