• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

#cawlidgehawkey

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Yesterday before the games had been played they had around a 98% chance to get in. Every game result went the wrong way for them.

That's correct. I thought @adchester was talking about after the dust had settled last night.

A curling friend of mine talks like Gopher hockey is a blessing from God and we all should be thankful that it exists. I'll be happy to remind him, on Wednesday, who is in the tournament and who is watching from home.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
That's correct. I thought @adchester was talking about after the dust had settled last night.

A curling friend of mine talks like Gopher hockey is a blessing from God and we all should be thankful that it exists. I'll be happy to remind him, on Wednesday, who is in the tournament and who is watching from home.
Let him know that they’ve lost to UMD 8 straight times for me too pls, thx.

goblue96

Some photos from the Michigan-Northeastern game yesterday

1913CB78-3340-432D-A516-F4187838A6B7.jpeg

Attachments

• 2230486A-08F9-4A0F-ADF6-E6ECB1104B51.jpeg
    2230486A-08F9-4A0F-ADF6-E6ECB1104B51.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • A4831E15-2AEF-4BE1-ADEA-2C84FA528E73.jpeg
    A4831E15-2AEF-4BE1-ADEA-2C84FA528E73.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
UMD in the frozen four for the second year in a row with a new goalie and 5 freshman starting in defense. We’ve been easily the best team in Minnesota over the past 10 years

goblue96

UMD in the frozen four for the second year in a row with a new goalie and 5 freshman starting in defense. We’ve been easily the best team in Minnesota over the past 10 years

Any chance Minnesota-TwinCities makes a move for the coach at UMD.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Any chance Minnesota-TwinCities makes a move for the coach at UMD.
Definitely possibly but I’d say it’s pretty unlikely for a number of reasons.

Sandelin is a Hibbing native and a North Dakota graduate. UMTC hiring a UND grad probably wouldn’t go over the greatest.

Hiring the coach from your sister school is always a bit messy, especially with the fact that UMTC would have to pay him more than UMD could when UMD is going through a budget crisis caused mainly by UMTC taking in a disproportionate amount of the funding of the school system. Wouldn’t be the best look for the Twin Cities as a school.

Right now the names going around for the U job are Motzko(SCSU), Potulny(NMU), and Hastings(Mankato).

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
The college hockey tournament is probably the worst way to decide a championship in sports. The last at large in will probably win, because they're playing a home game essentially. The number 1 seed went out to the last seed, and that happens pretty frequently. You're just as likely to win the tournament as the last at large as you are as the number one overall seed.

goblue96

The college hockey tournament is probably the worst way to decide a championship in sports. The last at large in will probably win, because they're playing a home game essentially. The number 1 seed went out to the last seed, and that happens pretty frequently. You're just as likely to win the tournament as the last at large as you are as the number one overall seed.

Best two of three series, then? That would really drag out the tournament doe.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
HOT TAKES in here. How is it any different than the basketball tournament that is universally loved, where I seem to remember the 1 seed went out to the last seed too?

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Also UMD is the last at large but that’s mostly because they were fitting in 5 freshman defensemen, a new goalie, and 3 new forwards and struggled at the beginning of the year. In the 2nd half of the season they were easily a top 5 team in the country

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
HOT TAKES in here. How is it any different than the basketball tournament that is universally loved, where I seem to remember the 1 seed went out to the last seed too?

Well, that's happened literally once in the history of the basketball tournament. It happens like every third year, if not more often, in the hockey tournament. And that was the only time it's happened to a 1 seed in the basketball tournament, but 4 seeds beat 1 seeds routinely in the hockey tournament.

Basketball is an entirely different game from hockey. Games in the hockey tournament are weighted coin flips, where the best odds to win are probably 70%. Which still means you lose fairly often. And most games are closer to 50-50, so it's just really random. It shitty to be the clear number one seed over the course of a season and then get bounced in one game because you ran into a hot goalie.

This isn't a dig at just UMD this year, which I know has a ton of talent (and there were fewer at large bids this year, so they're better than the usual last at large bid).

I would prefer that the first weekend now be extended out to best of 3 series. Keep the Frozen Four as single elimination, because even a 3 game series would be 50/50 at that point. So you add a week to the hockey tournament. Then you have the higher seeds host the first two rounds, which is a vast improvement in what currently happens. The first two rounds are just dead and played in front of like 2,000 people. It's insane.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
That’s fair, I think it would be better at representing the best team of the season to move to that, but I kinda like that you have to show up (and usually be kinda lucky too) each and every game. Going to a series would reduce the amount of upsets but I don’t really know by how much. Hockey has a lot of parity and if you’re in the top 16, you can definitely take a series from the top team in the country on any given weekend.

I love the having the top seed host for the first two rounds though. No idea why they don’t do that

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
That’s fair, I think it would be better at representing the best team of the season to move to that, but I kinda like that you have to show up (and usually be kinda lucky too) each and every game. Going to a series would reduce the amount of upsets but I don’t really know by how much. Hockey has a lot of parity and if you’re in the top 16, you can definitely take a series from the top team in the country on any given weekend.

I love the having the top seed host for the first two rounds though. No idea why they don’t do that

I think some teams/fan had really bad or scary experiences when they used to that. Love Michigan hockey, but when Yost is rocking and angry, it can be extremely hostile. Parents of the opposing team wanting to fight fans is not unusual. Great for Michigan, not great for anybody else there.

goblue96

I think some teams/fan had really bad or scary experiences when they used to that. Love Michigan hockey, but when Yost is rocking and angry, it can be extremely hostile. Parents of the opposing team wanting to fight fans is not unusual. Great for Michigan, not great for anybody else there.

Yost, in the mid 90's, before Michigan started to make all renovations was a hell on earth for the visiting team. Helped that they had teams which could flat skate the opposition off the ice. Brendan Morrison, Mike Knuble, Jason Botterill, John "The One Man Penalty Kill" Madden, Bill Muckalt, Steve Shields/Marty Turco in net. Wasn't uncommon for Michigan to drop 10+ goals on the bottom teams in the league.

Man, I loved that barn before the renovations.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It was still amazing as of 2009. It went a bit downhill after that, but the team got shitty then. I'm not sure it will have the same feel ever, but I think they could get close. Mel's turned around the program in the second half of the season. This team isn't that offensively talented, and it sill scored a ton of goals in the second half of the year. They have an iffy goalie situation, too. Still made the Frozen Four. They might have a future #1 NHL draft pick coming next year. Plus a ton of other great prospects coming. It's going to get really good really fast.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Crazy series in Denver this weekend. Last night Denver’s goalie stood on his head to preserve a shutout for Denver despite being outshot by about 30. Tonight Denver went into the 3rd period up 3-0 and UMD came back to tie it with a second left in regulation and win it in overtime.

This year’s UMD team is crazy good. Probably better than the championship teams of the past two years. Which almost certainly means they’ll lose in the first round of the tournament but oh well. We’ve got our share of puck luck lately.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
St. Cloud State and losing in the first round as the #1 overall seed, name a more dynamic duo.

UMD definitely has the talent to make a third straight national championship game this year, but I don't have my hopes up. The luck has to run out sometime and a single elim tourney is damn hard.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Sucks that BGSU gave up that late tying goal but it felt inevitable. I was just casually watching, left the room, came back 10 minutes later and they were still on their same shot total lol

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
I am clearly the only one who posts in this thread or gives a shit about college hockey on this dying vine anymore but 3 time and reigning back to back national champions Minnesota-Duluth just opened their season with a victory

Fuck Michigan

Fuck Notre Dame

UMass is ok

goblue96

Considering how Michigan has gone from perennial national championship contender to perennial bubble team tempers a lot of my excitement especially in November/December.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Gophers outscored Arizona State 20-2 in a 2 game series.

Tell me again who thought hockey in the South was a good idea

goblue96

ASU doesn't have a rich donor to jumpstart the program's move from club to varsity like Penn State does.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
ASU doesn't have a rich donor to jumpstart the program's move from club to varsity like Penn State does.
I mean yes...but its been six years lol. Don't have to be great but should be past the 20-2 stage.

Hockey in the south just sucks tho, even if they were good. If you can't play pond/public park hockey whats the point.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
Also Bemidji bros up 5-2 on Wisconsin

giphy.gif

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I like when they word it like this. It's the protocol's fault. Not that a fairly small group of people couldn't properly quarantine themselves for arguably the most important tournament of their lives by just wearing masks.

Notre Dame also got booted from the tournament from COVID. The thinking is that there was a COVID outbreak at the Big Ten hockey tournament.

goblue96

Smh, just bad D at the end. North Dakota has the momentum, but I guess its anyone's game in OT. If UMD doesn't pull it off, no shame in losing to UND though.

First goal was lazy goaltending.

Second goal was lazy defending by #6. He was defending air not a body.