• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 PAC-12 Thread

bruin

Discuss all things of the conference of champions for the 2018 season here.

Chip Kelly era at UCLA is underway. Two more staff changes have been made. Former OL Coach Fraley left for the Detroit Lions and longtime assistant Angus McClure left for Nevada.

Derek Sage will coach TE's. He previously was WR's coach at Wazzu. And Justin Frye from Boston College has been named OL coach.

First day of Spring ball is March 6th. The Spring game will be on April 21st.

[xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Sep. 1{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Cincinnati Bearcats
Rose Bowl, Pasadena, CA{/td}
{td}Time TBA
TV TBA{/td}
{td}Buy
Tickets
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Sep. 8{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}at Oklahoma Sooners
Gaylord Family OK Mem. Stadium, Norman, OK{/td}
{td}Time TBA
TV TBA{/td}
{td}Buy
Tickets
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Sep. 15{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Fresno State Bulldogs
{td}Time TBA
TV TBA{/td}
{td}Buy
Tickets
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Sep. 22{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}OFF{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td} {/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Friday
Sep. 28{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}at Colorado Buffaloes
Folsom Field, Boulder, CO{/td}
{td}Time TBA
TV TBA{/td}
{td}Buy
Tickets
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Oct. 6{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Washington Huskies
{td}Time TBA
TV TBA{/td}
{td}Buy
Tickets
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Oct. 13{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}at California Golden Bears
California Memorial Stadium, Berkeley, CA{/td}
{td}Time TBA
TV TBA{/td}
{td}Buy
Tickets
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Oct. 20{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Arizona Wildcats
{td}Time TBA
TV TBA{/td}
{td}Buy
Tickets
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Friday
Oct. 26{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Utah Utes
{td}Time TBA
TV TBA{/td}
{td}Buy
Tickets
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Nov. 3{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}at Oregon Ducks
Autzen Stadium, Eugene, OR{/td}
{td}Time TBA
TV TBA{/td}
{td}Buy
Tickets
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Nov. 10{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}at Arizona State Sun Devils
Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe, AZ{/td}
{td}Time TBA
TV TBA{/td}
{td}Buy
Tickets
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Nov. 17{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}USC Trojans
{td}Time TBA
TV TBA{/td}
{td}Buy
Tickets
{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Nov. 24{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Stanford Cardinal
{td}Time TBA
TV TBA{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

No more Rosen. Team has talent, as most Bruins teams always do. Breaking in a new QB, system, everything. Schedule is tough, especially in November. Exciting times, though.

Larry Scott sucks.

Brick

8-4 for Oregon, guaranteed. The team should be a lot better than that with the returning talent.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
usc ucla not the last game of the season

bruinnothanksguy.jpg

Been happening for a while, unfortunately

Perfect set up for UCLA to blow their load on the SC game and then get completely destroyed against Furd

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
North

Washington 11-1
Stanford 10-2
Oregon 8-4
Cal 7-5
Wazzu 4-8
Oregon State 2-10

South

SC 9-3
Utah 9-3
UCLA 7-5
Zona 7-5
Colorado 5-7
ASU 2-10

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Their schedule is also brutal. MSU and @SDSU in OOC and they get @UDub, Furd, and @Oregon from the North. Plus @SC and games they could win like Zona and CU are on the road too.

bruin

Been happening for a while, unfortunately

Perfect set up for UCLA to blow their load on the SC game and then get completely destroyed against Furd

Larry Scott said back in 2012 that he was going to not schedule games between North and South teams on the last weekend of the reg.season so that there wouldn’t be a chance of repeat matchups (UCLA vs Stanford in 2012 PAC-12 Title game)

What a cocksucker.

Bdub

Utah should be much improved this year. Year 2 of the Troy Taylor offense should show improvements as well as returning nearly everyone on offense. Regardless, they will start out strong and stumble down the stretch. Losing the South in the last month for like the 3rd time in 5 years.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
North

Washington 11-1
Stanford 10-2
Oregon 8-4
Cal 7-5
Wazzu 4-8
Oregon State 2-10

South

SC 9-3
Utah 9-3
UCLA 7-5
Zona 7-5
Colorado 5-7
ASU 2-10

You think SC will still win the South?

I suspect we will take a big step backward, and Helton's deficiencies as a coach will come to light. Sam Darnold definitely regressed last season compared to his half-season of starting his freshman year, and the season's success was based mainly, IMO, on the excellent season that Ronald Jones had. Both of those guys are gone now, to try their fortunes in the NFL, and we will be breaking in a new QB, as well as trying to identify a new feature running back.

Helton preaches that he wants a power-running style offense, but his offense was anything but. It was frustrating when you could see Ronald Jones getting into a groove, peeling off 4, 5, and 7 yard runs almost at will, only to have two Sam.Darnold dropbacks, both resulting in incomplete passes.

Defensively I think SC will still be adequate, but not particularly good. Ohio State and Notre Dame did to us what REAL power running teams do - push around weaker, finesse-style teams like those from the Pac12 are. So Pendergast's defense is well-adapted to the spread-style offenses they face in the conference, but ill-equipped to stand up to the big boys.

In short, SC will have enough to out-talent most of their opponents and stumble their way to victories, but against teams with equivalent talent, Helton's shortcomings and lack of imagination will become more apparent.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Helton sucks, but I don't really see anyone else with a legitimate shot aside from Utah. SC has to play Furd on the road early, which they could easily lose, but then the rest of the conference schedule is easy outside of road trips to SLC and Rose Bowl. Instead of Washington, they get Wazzu at home (so no Pullman shenanigans) and Oregon State on the road.

UCLA is probably the second most talented team, but will be breaking in a new corch, new QB, and draws probably the top four teams from the North this year.

Zona has a new corch and draws Cal, Oregon, and @Wazzu, which is always tricky.

I think Utah will be pretty good, but again, cross division schedule doesn't do them any favors (UDub, @Wazzu, @Furd, Oregon).

ASU...lol

Maybe CU could surprise again, but they have to play SC and UDub on the road, Montez sucks balls, and hiring the essentially fired DC from Kentucky unsurprisingly resulted in a horrible defense.

Basically, SC gets probably the two worst teams from the North (OSU and Wazzu) and misses Washington, whereas everybody else gets some combination of new corch, game vs. UDub, shitty QB, or complete laughingstock (hi ASU).

This season will be classic Pac-12. Washington will lose to Auburn to open the year and then run the table. SC will lose to ND, Furd, and possibly Texas, but still win the South (basically we agree). Then, SC will upset Washington in the CCG, preventing anyone from making the playoffs again. Mike Leach will say something funny. Furd will have the most boring offense imaginable and still win 10 games. Cristobal will be too busy #BUILD1N9ABULLY to win anything meaningful. Herm Edwards will look like a fucking idiot. Etc.

Last edited:

Brick

Someone weird may win one of the divisions. Oregon and Arizona are going to win a couple games they shouldn't because of QB play. So will Wazzu because Leach. Chip will steal a game or two. It will be a fucking mess.

Without doing any research I think Stanford (if their QB keeps improving) and Washington (Sr. Cuck Browning) will be the best teams. But their style of play is so vulnerable to upsets with the offenses in this league that I don't trust them.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Wazzu lost like 90% of their coaching staff and will probably be starting a freshman at QB. I think it’ll be a rough year where stealing one means something like beating CU or Zona at home.

DanishDonut0

Wazzu lost like 90% of their coaching staff and will probably be starting a freshman at QB. I think it’ll be a rough year where stealing one means something like beating CU or Zona at home.

They will beat Oregon, as is (recent) tradition

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Mmm probably not. Wazzu had a pretty good team last year and basically lucked out against Oregon because of Herbert's injury. Leavitt schemes against Leach pretty well.

Plus, I heard Oregon hired the greatest coach in human history as their HC

bruin

DXo4mOZWkAAq5g7.jpg

DanishDonut0

Uhh yeah, it's been a thing since I was there and maybe before. Wasn't sure if you were trolling or legit have never heard it.

Brick

I haven't been around the fan culture since 2001, and just started doing anything but watch games when I began hate-following this disastrous coaching staff's twitter. Man I was really hoping fucking Arroyo coined it.

DanishDonut0

I haven't been around the fan culture since 2001, and just started doing anything but watch games when I began hate-following this disastrous coaching staff's twitter. Man I was really hoping fucking Arroyo coined it.

Yeah I have no idea when it started, I got there in 2008. Could've been before but I'd guess sometime while I was there since that's when the #DYNASTY began

bruin

Wilton Speight was at UCLA's practice today. With KJ Carter Samuel opting for Colorado State at the last min, this could be a option.

Brick

I was relieved to learn on Saturday that the Oregon Ducks football team didn't pack team-issued raincoats for their rainy/windy practice and scrimmage in Portland at Franklin High School.

Maybe all the talk is just a sign of the times. Forgive me. UCLA coach Chip Kelly once told me years ago while still coaching at Oregon that he didn't have a Twitter account because, "Nobody wants to know that I had Cheerios for breakfast." I told him he might think about opening an account for promotional reasons. You know, to get more eyeballs on his program. To that, Kelly laughed, "No thanks, I think we got enough eyeballs on our program."
giphy.gif

Brick

If he wasn't a reporter he'd probably get punched in the face by a coach. Last year after Oregon State lost to USC he went up to Gary Andersen and said "YOU NEED A QUARTERBACK".

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Knowing nothing about UCLA's QB situation, it's pretty strange to me still. Speight is not really a fit for Kelly's offense. He is basically zero threat to run, although he's pretty good at avoiding pressure. Even Kelly's more statuesque QB at Oregon was still a threat to run. I don't get it.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Knowing nothing about UCLA's QB situation, it's pretty strange to me still. Speight is not really a fit for Kelly's offense. He is basically zero threat to run, although he's pretty good at avoiding pressure. Even Kelly's more statuesque QB at Oregon was still a threat to run. I don't get it.

Maybe Speight is eyeing a career in Hollywood? :dunno:

But as @bruin says - having a player with that type of experience (and presumably, maturity) is always an asset.

bruin

experience with UCLA's current QB depth chart.

Modster: RS Soph- 4 career starts
Lynch: RS Soph- Played one quarter at Utah
Burton: RS Frosh- 0 career snaps
Thomas Robinson: True Frosh- 5* recruit
Speight

Thought Modster would win the job, with DTR getting meaningful snaps early. That was before Speight. Intriguing to see this summer.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
USC's quarterback derby could be somewhat interesting. Matt Fink was Darnold's official backup last season, and showed some flashes of real athleticism in the few snaps he got, as Darnold unfortunately stayed on the field and in games longer than I woild have liked for the development of the next QB. However, Jack Sears, who was the next QB after Sam Darnold at San Clemente HS, could really push Fink as Sears is bigger and stronger, but also has speed like Fink.

Both, however, might simply be keeping the seat warm for incoming true freshman JT Daniels, from Mater Dei HS, who is probably the most anticipated recruit at QB since Matt Barkley. Let's hope his career doesn't similarly fall flat like Barkley's.

Having seen Daniels play several times, I think I can say he is better from an athletic standpoint than Barkley was, but that's not saying much. Heck, Cody Kessler was more athletic than Barkley.

Still, I think the player that will be most missed this season is not Sam Darnold, as he admittedly had a pretty average year, but RB Ronald Jones. It was he that truly loosened up the defenses with his hard running, and not Darnold carving up defenses with his arm.

bruin

Would think Daniels didn’t leave HS a year early to sit, but I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Sears. Big arm.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Would think Daniels didn’t leave HS a year early to sit, but I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Sears. Big arm.

Yeah, but Max Wittek had the biggest cannon this side of a German railway gun and he sucked.

BTW, it was Sears, and not Sam Darnold, who was in that CIF shampship barn-burner against La Habra HS. I remember thinking at the time that the San Clemente QB looked like a surefire D-1 caliber player. LA Habra's QB looked like.....your typical HS quarterback. (Even though La Habra won that game on a last-second TD)

In any case - yeah, I'd say that Daniels is expected to come in and be the man, but I'm honestly leery of any true freshman at any position, much more so at QB.