• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
John Sabala, August 5, 2021 at 8:49 a.m.
This was the form everyone thought we would see from the USWNT at the Olympics. The wake up came too late in the tournament. High pressing, connecting quicker passes in the midfield and changing the point of attack to break the defensive lines. Why did we wait until the last match the turn the team loose? It was good to see them go out with a win, but as I watched the game, I just kept asking why now and not earlier?

Lloyd showed she is still an elite player at 39 and could play longer if she wished. You don't need break away speed like Morgan to be a central striker. Undestandable after so many years committed to USWNT to hang up the cleats to pursue a personal life.

The backline continued to play poorly with the exception of Saurbrunn. It is time to move Dunn back to her natural position as a forward. Our best defending talents are with centerbacks so the US should consider moving to a back 3 formation. There is a ton of talent in the midfield to make this kind of change. WIth a 3-4-3 or a 3-5-2. The hardest spot to fill will be a true #9 that can hold up play and be a constant threat to the two centerbacks of the defending line. We must move away from the long ball mentality that our forwards will just outrun everyone to the ball. This will not work well against quality opponents. The end of an era for USWNT.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
I feel like this group of kids can be better than the 2010 and 2002 squads, and there’s probably more depth than we’ve ever had. Hopefully the trend continues upward.

bruin

Still feel we are lacking that big striker. Dike fell off in the Gold Cup. I like the OC kid whose name is escaping me at the moment (Hoppe!)

Sargent? Morris ever gonna be healthy?

But, gotta give it up to Berhalter. What a difference a year makes.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Matt Turner might be better than Steffen. Pulisic is a huge loss though. Still, should be able to win in El Salvador.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
McKennie out for "violating rules" aka annoyed he's stuck playing with such bums and probably threw a tantrum lol

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Cna busio get here from Italy in time for the second half?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Time to talk about Berhalter’s job. Canada and El Salvador are two the weakest teams in the octagon. 2 points isn’t going to cut it.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Wait until the 82nd minute to make tactical subs in the middle game of a 3 games in 11 days stretch. Berhalter must have had a stroke.

NML

Time to talk about Berhalter’s job. Canada and El Salvador are two the weakest teams in the octagon. 2 points isn’t going to cut it.

canada is probably the third best team in the confederation

really don’t get people calling for his job seeing as he has accomplished every goal to date (Nations League, Gold Cup, a fuck ton of dual nationals).

good news about it being the octagon is they have 12 more matches to fix it. neither result is good obviously, but they dont ruin their chances either. looks bad back to back but plenty of time to turn it around.

pulisic was really really bad last night. adams, aaronson, and seb (ugh) were the only players i was impressed with.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
canada is probably the third best team in the confederation

really don’t get people calling for his job seeing as he has accomplished every goal to date (Nations League, Gold Cup, a fuck ton of dual nationals).
We’ll see about Canada, but I have a hunch they’re not quite the 3rd best team in the Octogon.

I’m also not sure how much faith to put in the wins this summer. Both of the finals were coin flips that went the US’s way. And they’re nice, but not qualifying for 2022 would be a bigger disaster than 2018, given the talent. The World Cup is the only thing that matters this cycle.

Also, saw this last night:

(That’s under Berhalter. Not great Bob.)

NML

now do goals against

either the results matter or it’s just about performance, but its just disingenuous to have the result not matter sometimes (everything besides wcq) and other times be the only thing that matters

the numbers tell you they should’ve won against el salvador. canada is good, but i think there is fair criticism to say the us couldn’t break them down.

but they’ve won every competition they could to date. im on board with World Cup being the most important thing, but nations league/gold cup can and should have bought some good will for everybody involved that they can right the ship

it’s also been two games, not half the qualification cycle

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
The US at home just started a lineup that was half CL players and couldn't beat a team with a majority of guys who play in 2.Bundesliga, South Korea, Serbia, MLS. The match before they couldn't score against a team playing no one from a legit league (minus MLS). Just a total disaster to start qualifying with 2 points against 2 teams that the US has a massive talent advantage over.

The only good thing is so far everyone else has basically tied outside of Mexico (who is beating bad teams). But if they don't get a result at Honduras, they're in serious shit.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
They are replacing McKennie with my fellow Jefferson High School grad Jackson Yueill lol this is gonna be a great qualifying cycle

NML

The US at home just started a lineup that was half CL players and couldn't beat a team with a majority of guys who play in 2.Bundesliga, South Korea, Serbia, MLS. The match before they couldn't score against a team playing no one from a legit league (minus MLS). Just a total disaster to start qualifying with 2 points against 2 teams that the US has a massive talent advantage over.

The only good thing is so far everyone else has basically tied outside of Mexico (who is beating bad teams). But if they don't get a result at Honduras, they're in serious shit.

us played 5 UCL players but Dest played 40 minutes. canada played 4. the talent gap between these teams just isn’t THAT massive (especially with no gio, mckennie, and steffen).

i think this list is pretty good

like i said, these were not good results. but they also aren’t on the brink of elimination either

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
The game at Canada is on January 29. Gimme a good reason why Canada doesn't play this in some frozen tundra like Edmonton.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
major-league-theyre-still-shitty-1.jpg

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Don't worry we won the CONCACAF nations league

doh

This lineup makes me think Berhalter wants that buyout money.

Taking Adams out of the middle = LOL

doh

us played 5 UCL players but Dest played 40 minutes. canada played 4. the talent gap between these teams just isn’t THAT massive (especially with no gio, mckennie, and steffen).
Now I actually read this... this is hilarious. The US played an El Salvador team that was almost all players from the MIGHTY El Salvadorian league.

Tonight Honduras is starting mostly domestic, a couple MLS, a guy from the Portuguese 2nd division.

There's no massive talent gap? :laughing:

fried rice

Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Lol holy shit I peak into this thread periodically, but it looks like (at an early stage) we stand a decent chance of missing the second World Cup in a row. I never would have seen things playing out this way circa 2010, I would have probably given us higher odds of reaching a finals than missing multiple consecutive WCs.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Team is full of Zoomers. They don't care. Can't get famous doing a tiktok dance if you have to play in world cup qualifiers.