• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Let's fucking go pinche cabrones

Reactions: NML

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
What has got into Arriola this past month or so? He looks possessed out there

NML

Can we stop passing back to Steffen just so he can play it to the messican center backs?

NML

We’ve... we’ve been the better team so far?

I’d like us to be less passive in the final third. Too often we are pussying out and dropping the ball back when we are in dangerous positions

Snorky's Shame

Mexico back line looks shaky. There were a couple of balls that weren’t dangerous that turned into good US chances.

Jozy’s passing is off as well, not to mention his finishing.

This place is going to explode if Mexico scores. Even half chances were greeted with loud cheers.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
That goal shouldn't matter because we should probably be up 3. Fuck. Shitting down our legs.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Down a goal... 10 minutes left... And here comes Daniel Lovitz!

Good thing we didn't bring Sargent.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Didn't watch the first half, but we've been completely overrun this half. There was a good 10-15 minutes where we didn't touch the ball in the final 3rd. Not good when our best chances comes off corners.

tab10

Goalie looked liked he got caught flat footed on their goal. Yes, I know it hit the underside of the crossbar, but it was only a few steps to his right.

I thought he perhaps could have got a hand to it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NML

That goal shouldn't matter because we should probably be up 3

This is pretty much it. Plenty of decent to really good chances that they didn’t put away.

Weren’t particularly outplayed like I imagined, just didn’t take the opportunities

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Our 3 subs. Look at this.

Zardes
Roldan
Lovitz

giphy.gif

doh

US should have scored in the first half. Just not enough good players.

Not bringing Sargent was a beyond moronic. Jozy is never fully fit or healthy. He was toast 10 minutes into the second half.

Oh well after that match for the first time in a LONG time, I am actually encouraged about the future.

Snorky's Shame

The US had their chances tonight but Mexico were the better team after they cleared the ball off their line early in the second half.

Jozy couldn’t finish tonight but made up for it by not being able to pass. Bradley just needlessly gave away the ball in the midfield too much.

Morris just doesn’t look like USMNT material. Him being too causal on the ball in his own penalty area led to a chance.

Game might have been different if the US scores in the first half. I wasn’t expecting that expected goals number.

Despite the loss, the atmosphere was great. Got hit by a couple of beers but what’s a CONCACAF game without a beer shower.

EDIT: One more thing, you had to commit murder to get a yellow card tonight.

Last edited:

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Anyone complaining about Jozy, clearly, somehow, hasn't seen Zardes play.

I don't disagree that neither Jozy or Bradley should be on the team, or that we should have better options, or whatever. But we either don't (in Berhalter's eyes) or just didn't bring them. Jozy is better than Zardes (you, reader, might be a better MNT striker, for what that's worth). Bradley is old, slow, and careless, but without Tyler Adams he was basically forced to play. Trapp sucks just as much and doesn't have anywhere near the experience.

Last edited:

NML

Not bringing Sargent was a beyond moronic

He played 7 minutes since February. He hasn’t scored since December. This constant ‘grass is greener’ shit is exhausting

The reality is the pool just isn’t good enough. Zardes and Jozy probably are the two best strikers right now. That’s not Berhalter’s fault, it’s just where we’re at.

I thought he got the tactics right, but went defensive too early. The subs were bad. Not adjusting in the second half is frustrating, although to be fair we have typically played better after halftime this tournament.

It’s the nature of sports, but neither team should make drastic conclusions after this. Both teams have positives to take away and both have questions: we are missing some players due to injury and the u20’s, but Mexico is missing players because they either don’t want to play for Tata or don’t prioritize the NT. Will Berhalter adjust team selection now that he has time before the next matches that matter, or is he going to stick with “his guys?”

I’d also tell anyone who thinks we aren’t close to Mexico or that they are way ahead to go watch the CONCACAF Cup from 2015 and you’ll see how we basically held on for dear life all game. We just don’t play even with México in (relatively) neutral stadiums, so last night was a step forward in that regard.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
We need some U-20s to step up quickly, so we're not forced to play Bradley and have an option besides Jozy or Zardes. We shouldn't be one injury away from going to Bradley or Trapp. We need more options than bringing on a left back with 5 minutes left. Our first team, when healthy, is fine. And can probably go close to toe-to-toe with a full strength Mexico. I'm not too worried about qualifying for the next World Cup. I don't know if we'll do much beyond that. That really depends on how good the U-20s and below can develop in the next 3 years.

NML

Here’s a team that could both be our starting 11 and is Olympic eligible

Weah - Sargent - Pulisic
Pomykal - McKennie
Adams
Robinson - Brooks - Miazga - Cannon
Steffen

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
He played 7 minutes since February. He hasn’t scored since December. This constant ‘grass is greener’ shit is exhausting

I think we've talked about this here before, but I don't get why Sargent wasn't selected for one US team this summer. I get that Zardes and Jozy are better than him, but it would have been nice to give him a run against Panama, for example. It's not like he's exhausted from a long season. I wonder if Werder wanted him to have a full preseason? Or maybe that's what he wanted.

Wouldn't have made a difference in the Gold Cup, though, so it's really not a huge deal. He needs to get a run out in some friendlies coming up here. It would be nice to have him ready to at least be a sub when qualifying rolls around in March (apparently?).

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
we so bad
Anyone complaining about Jozy, clearly, somehow, hasn't seen Zardes play.

I don't disagree that neither Jozy or Bradley should be on the team, or that we should have better options, or whatever. But we either don't (in Berhalter's eyes) or just didn't bring them. Jozy is better than Zardes (you, reader, might be a better MNT striker, for what that's worth). Bradley is old, slow, and careless, but without Tyler Adams he was basically forced to play. Trapp sucks just as much and doesn't have anywhere near the experience.
Just play the younger players then. Whether or not they are worse is probably questionable anyway.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I don't disagree, but Berhalter is perhaps understandably still trying to prove hisself, so he brought the "best" players. I also believe Adams was either hurt or not released by RBL.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I think we've talked about this here before, but I don't get why Sargent wasn't selected for one US team this summer. I get that Zardes and Jozy are better than him, but it would have been nice to give him a run against Panama, for example. It's not like he's exhausted from a long season. I wonder if Werder wanted him to have a full preseason? Or maybe that's what he wanted.

Wouldn't have made a difference in the Gold Cup, though, so it's really not a huge deal. He needs to get a run out in some friendlies coming up here. It would be nice to have him ready to at least be a sub when qualifying rolls around in March (apparently?).

I think we have discussed this too.

source.gif

NML

Sargent, GB, and Ramos all were on the same page that there wasn’t anything left for Sargent to accomplish at the U20 WC. So that’s fine. And if you think he’s third on the striker depth chart, then he’s SOL

I think the place to look at is Berhalter’s insistence on running two deep at every position. Did Jonathan Lewis need to be here? Sargent could’ve played the Panama match out wide, and given him another option at striker if Zardes didn’t produce and Jozy wasn’t healthy. He could shift Pulisic, Zardes, or - as he did - Roldan wide in case of emergency.

bruin

Look at Rose Lavelle's run slicing through a defense and cool calm collectively puts it away.

Of course Jozy can't put away a sitter. Zardes LOL

I legit thought about Charlies Davies for about 30 min hammered last night in the jacuzzi :crying:

doh

The reality is the pool just isn’t good enough. Zardes and Jozy probably are the two best strikers right now. That’s not Berhalter’s fault, it’s just where we’re at.

I thought he got the tactics right, but went defensive too early. The subs were bad. Not adjusting in the second half is frustrating, although to be fair we have typically played better after halftime this tournament.

It’s the nature of sports, but neither team should make drastic conclusions after this. Both teams have positives to take away and both have questions: we are missing some players due to injury and the u20’s, but Mexico is missing players because they either don’t want to play for Tata or don’t prioritize the NT. Will Berhalter adjust team selection now that he has time before the next matches that matter, or is he going to stick with “his guys?”

I’d also tell anyone who thinks we aren’t close to Mexico or that they are way ahead to go watch the CONCACAF Cup from 2015 and you’ll see how we basically held on for dear life all game. We just don’t play even with México in (relatively) neutral stadiums, so last night was a step forward in that regard.
The pool isn't good enough. They have zero depth. I've been probably the only person to defend Zardes on this forum.

The reality is if you are going to have never full fitness/healthy Jozy as one of your strikers and he's gassed at the 50th minute, you need a third forward.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Sargent, GB, and Ramos all were on the same page that there wasn’t anything left for Sargent to accomplish at the U20 WC. So that’s fine. And if you think he’s third on the striker depth chart, then he’s SOL

I think the place to look at is Berhalter’s insistence on running two deep at every position. Did Jonathan Lewis need to be here? Sargent could’ve played the Panama match out wide, and given him another option at striker if Zardes didn’t produce and Jozy wasn’t healthy. He could shift Pulisic, Zardes, or - as he did - Roldan wide in case of emergency.

All of this makes sense except for the “wasn’t anything left to accomplish at the U20 WC.”

Don’t we want our best U20 players at the highest level U20 competition?

<you-play-to-win-the-game.youtube>

dongs

Did you guys hear that the Gold Cup final wasnt broadcast live in Mexico? They had to watch the game on-delay, on-delay!

Last edited: