• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Corches Hot Seat Thread 2018

Yeah, MSU would be crazy to fire him. They're MSU. Who the fuck do they think they're going to get that's better that won't get a better offer elsewhere?

Skeeter

Uber felon
Shit the way y'all were talking about them I thought they got housed today. Now I see they won. Finally get caught up.

Reel talk what is current expectations in East Lansing? 9-3 and a bcs bowl every now and then? I'm guessing they aren't expecting playoffs ever?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Fire Dantonio, arguably a top 10 coach with a winning record against Michigan and PSU, a winning record against top 15 teams, multiple conference titles, MSU first Rose Bowl win in decades, a playoff appearance, and multiple top 15 finishes, because he lost to Northwestern and then responded by beating a top 10 team on the road in one of the most hostile environments in college football, babby

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Shit the way y'all were talking about them I thought they got housed today. Now I see they won. Finally get caught up.

Reel talk what is current expectations in East Lansing? 9-3 and a bcs bowl every now and then? I'm guessing they aren't expecting playoffs ever?

Yeah, probably, so imagine how they’d feel about Dantonio if he ever took them to the playoffs

Fire Dantonio, arguably a top 10 coach with a winning record against Michigan and PSU, a winning record against top 15 teams, multiple conference titles, MSU first Rose Bowl win in decades, a playoff appearance, and multiple top 15 finishes, because he lost to Northwestern and then responded by beating a top 10 team on the road in one of the most hostile environments in college football, babby
giphy.gif

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
:(

I don’t think it works in general. Maybe Mike Riley at Oregon State was okay all things considered. Lane Train is still the top of my list

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
A fun counterfactual on Franklin: what do people think of him if they lose that flukey game against OSU in 2016? They were outgained by 150 yards and won because they returned a blocked field goal for a TD. They don't get into the Big Ten title game in that scenario, and probably don't get a NY6 bowl.

Franklin's got Penn State's talent up to the level just below OSU in the Big Ten (i.e., pretty even with Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, etc.), and they are playing to that level. But man, they're even better if they can pull out those 3 games they should have won.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
A fun counterfactual on Franklin: what do people think of him if they lose that flukey game against OSU in 2016? They were outgained by 150 yards and won because they returned a blocked field goal for a TD. They don't get into the Big Ten title game in that scenario, and probably don't get a NY6 bowl.

Franklin's got Penn State's talent up to the level just below OSU in the Big Ten (i.e., pretty even with Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin, etc.), and they are playing to that level. But man, they're even better if they can pull out those 3 games they should have won.

I think they would have gone 9-3 in 2016 which is significantly better than they had any business being.

To have PSU's talent up to the level just below OSU is a miracle.

-YTC

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I think they would have gone 9-3 in 2016 which is significantly better than they had any business being.

To have PSU's talent up to the level just below OSU is a miracle.

-YTC

9-3 is probably right, yeah. The real fun counterfactual is what if they end up losing that game to Minnesota?

I'm not sure I agree getting PSU's talent level is that much of a miracle. They're consistently between 2nd and 4th in recruiting rankings in the Big Ten behind Ohio State, dating back to BOB. I don't think they're over- or under-performing based on their recruiting rankings.

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
9-3 is probably right, yeah. The real fun counterfactual is what if they end up losing that game to Minnesota?

I'm not sure I agree getting PSU's talent level is that much of a miracle. They're consistently between 2nd and 4th in recruiting rankings in the Big Ten behind Ohio State, dating back to BOB. I don't think they're over- or under-performing based on their recruiting rankings.

1. Absolutely correct. The Minnesota win/loss is the "fun" what-if scenario. As is Iowa in 2017.

2. We will just have to disagree on this one. I know what the recruiting rankings were saying, but the roster construction coming out of the BOB era was a tire fire. Only 7 scholarship OL, and horrific LB recruiting. The rankings were inflated by "blue-chip" guys at the same position (WR, RB, DB) but the other positions were terribly thin.

Now, starting next season, I'll be much more critical of Franklin regarding results. The team should finally be at that 50% "Blue Chip" ratio that I think you need to be at to compete for conference championships and CFP berths.

-YTC

Lightningwar

Administrator
1. Absolutely correct. The Minnesota win/loss is the "fun" what-if scenario. As is Iowa in 2017.

2. We will just have to disagree on this one. I know what the recruiting rankings were saying, but the roster construction coming out of the BOB era was a tire fire. Only 7 scholarship OL, and horrific LB recruiting. The rankings were inflated by "blue-chip" guys at the same position (WR, RB, DB) but the other positions were terribly thin.

Now, starting next season, I'll be much more critical of Franklin regarding results. The team should finally be at that 50% "Blue Chip" ratio that I think you need to be at to compete for conference championships and CFP berths.

-YTC

Was Jimbo Fisher also coaching PSU behind FSUs back? FSU has the same exact issues. Top 5 classes, OL and LB a mess. DBs, RBs and DL inflated team ranking.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

-YTC

That's fair. And yeah, PSU's line was terrible for a long time. Even last year, their advanced OL stats weren't great (I haven't seen advanced line stats for them yet this year). It's year 5 now, though, so it's all his players from now on.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Pretty sure the other Pac12 coaches have started a GoFundMe page for Clay Helton to remain indefinitely at USC.

FSU fans did this with The Donk(McElwain). We never wanted him to leave. Perfect level of mediocracy. Win the shitty SEC East. Get destroyed by FSU and Bama or SEC west champion each year. Go to a bowl and lose. Finish 9-4 or 10-3 but never be close to competing for anything meaningful.