• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2019 MLB Thread

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
giphy.gif

Bdub

Kershaw back to sucking in the playoffs. Dodgers looking not very prepared to play this game.

NML

Starters being pulled after 80ish pitches in the fourth makes me sad. I get it, but there was a great article about how starters use to be then protagonist of a baseball game, and that’s not the case anymore.

Sale was a great example last night. He wasn’t sharp, but it seemed like he was finding his groove in the third and fourth. He had a one hitter! Didn’t come out for the fifth

It’s especially weird for a team to adopt this strategy when their bullpen is so average like the Sox. Adopting the Tanners plan of having decent starters and an elite pen would be way more useful

ZackMills

Have mercy
I'm sad to admit it, but I am now in the "Baseball nerds making the game less enjoyable to watch" camp. Am firmly in favor of anti-shift rules. NBA defenses can't lineup however they want. Zone a ball field and fielders can't go outside those lines. I'd even listen to rules about relief pitchers needing to pitch to X number of batters and teams only allowed to use X number of relievers a game. Run out of relievers and you can use position players.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
It's a weird cycle because teams also want their starters to be fresh in case they need to make a relief appearance at the end of the series, which tires them out for the next series

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I'm sad to admit it, but I am now in the "Baseball nerds making the game less enjoyable to watch" camp. Am firmly in favor of anti-shift rules. NBA defenses can't lineup however they want. Zone a ball field and fielders can't go outside those lines. I'd even listen to rules about relief pitchers needing to pitch to X number of batters and teams only allowed to use X number of relievers a game. Run out of relievers and you can use position players.
Ew

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Starters being pulled after 80ish pitches in the fourth makes me sad. I get it, but there was a great article about how starters use to be then protagonist of a baseball game, and that’s not the case anymore.

Sale was a great example last night. He wasn’t sharp, but it seemed like he was finding his groove in the third and fourth. He had a one hitter! Didn’t come out for the fifth

It’s especially weird for a team to adopt this strategy when their bullpen is so average like the Sox. Adopting the Tanners plan of having decent starters and an elite pen would be way more useful
He had a 1 hitter but was trailing 2-0 because he walked 4 others and also hit a guy. He also clearly wasn’t right out there throwing 89-91 and topping out at 93. Unless you’re really gonna push him to 120 pitches, he likely wasn’t going beyond the 5th at 86 pitches and the order rolling over.

The humorous thing is the move actually worked if Joe Kelly doesn’t want to be an assclown and hits a guy with a 1-2 count because he got his feelings hurt. Oh also if Nunez could field.

NML

I said I get why they do it. It’s just not as enjoyable of a viewing experience. I mean baseball is already hard to watch, but I don’t think I could sit and give three hours to a non Sox game so I could see twelve different bullpen guys throw 18 pitches.

NML

It’s more enjoyable to watch a starter with no command?

Definitely. I mean obviously Sale normally has great command, so that response is dumb, but yes I’d rather see the battle a pitcher has to go through than watch a game where seemingly every at bat ends as a strikeout, walk, or home run.

This is definitely a grumpy old man take but I’m 28 going on 53

Bdub

I don't mind the Brewers and the Astros are OK to watch. The Dodgers are insufferable though.

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
You will probably the only person in America watching Milwaukee-Houston.

Pulling for Red Sox Brewers because then I win my office pool, making it a clean sweep for me this year (March Madness, World Cup, and WS)

pavel

likes elk steak likes
Utopia Moderator
So Moustakas can basically walk to first with a bunt against the shift and give his team 1st and 2nd with one out and he insists on swinging away, only to pop out? Dumb

Bdub

I don't understand the Brewers hitting strategy. You get a lead off hit by a burner, then 3 straight crap hits and you don't even manage to move him into scoring position. I mean holy shit you only need one run. WTF is Braun doing swinging at pitches in the dirt when you literally just have to put the ball in play. Either of these teams are going to get swept in the world series.