• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Week 7 Thread (The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down to the Wawa for an Italian Hoagie)

I don’t think this is even a HOT TAKE but Philly has to have one of the worst regional cuisines of any major city. Cheesesteaks and Italian subs? Nah b that shit can’t hold a candle to NY pizza and bagels, LA tacos, or even places like KC BBQ or Boston claw chowdah.

Honestly the only other contenders for worst I can think of are MPLS and Chicago. Jucy Lucy’s and deep dish pizza are average at best. Not to mention whatever tf a Chicago dog is.
This is a total non-argument. The food culture in Philadelphia is not restricted to Philly Steaks and Hoagies (subs? nah b), but their other food culture that rocks is not exclusive to Philadelphia. The Italian food, bakeries, NY-style pizza, etc. is amazing, but can be found throughout most of the Mid-Atlantic region. To pretend like it's only sandwiches is wrong. Also, you left out soft pretzels.

coogrfan

Two words: Skyline chili.

tenor.gif

Of all the contenders for worst local cuisine this is the worst. It takes two perfectly acceptable dishes and combines them in an unholy, inedible mess.

Last edited:

coogrfan

This is a total non-argument. The food culture in Philadelphia is not restricted to Philly Steaks and Hoagies (subs? nah b), but their other food culture that rocks is not exclusive to Philadelphia.

Case in point: Reading Terminal Market. We stopped there after the Temple game last year, and while it was amazing there was literally nothing you couldn't find done better somewhere else.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Gefiltefish and lutefisk and all of that white fish in vinegar in a can stuff is pretty revolting. I appreciate that it's an acquired taste, but I will never acquire it. And I can eat plain greek yogurt.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Coloradoans do often spell it chili doe (at least in reference to the dish). The etymology behind that is interesting to me, but spelling it chili in English is fine, when referencing a stew. If you speakin spanish or referencing the actual chile then it is chile and you can GTFO OF MURRICA (or stay in the nook and make me some tamales).

Wuf

Desensitized and Willing
I kinda wanna open up a food truck here that's fried chicken n' biscuits smothered in green chil

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Since we got onto the chili vs chile thing... one of my favorite AUTHENTIC FOOD pedant moments happened when @Irishman's Texas cousin showed up at my homecoming tailgate event. He was the date of one of my friends and he strutted up and asked WHAT U MAKE and I replied "Elk Chili Beans" and he instantly cut me off... "REAL CHILI AIN'T GOT BEANS IT AIN'T GOT BEANSSS"

I stared at him for a second and then stared at my chili beans to confirm that there were in fact beans in there... then I realized what was happening! So I replied "Well I can see beans in there, but if you can't see them you must have glitched in from a different version of the simulation? Does the crock pot appear empty to you? Are there holes in space/time where the beans should be? Well that's a shame that you won't be able to eat with us." Then later I caught him trying to eat some of my chili beans because he was probably hungry, but of course I made a big deal about it not being reality for him so it could rupture the universe divide if someone from his version of the sim attempted to consume the shadow realm beans. It might have seemed rude of me, but that's the sort of thing that causes ULAMOG THE CEASELESS HUNGER to enter your plane of existence.

Then, as if meeting a sim-walker wasn't enough strangeness for one day, I went to take a piss at the porta-potty and saw a man pointing at hisself yelling "WOOF WOOOFF WOOOOOF!" My fragile mind snapped.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Here's a math question for you all... if I tell a 50% true story on Utopia for the 3rd time, what % true is it in reality? Still 50% true, but with different changes? 12.5% true? -50% true?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Are those crinkle fries baked in the oven? You really have found home sweet home for Irishman!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
My last pack of round steak really was freezer burned, the seal-a-meal bag didn't seal right. Soaked that shit in salt water for a while and then had to do a lot of trimming. Then I farted for like 5 days after eating it.

Butcher paper + Vacuum seal usually does the trick doe.

Brick

Since we got onto the chili vs chile thing... one of my favorite AUTHENTIC FOOD pedant moments happened when @Irishman's Texas cousin showed up at my homecoming tailgate event. He was the date of one of my friends and he strutted up and asked WHAT U MAKE and I replied "Elk Chili Beans" and he instantly cut me off... "REAL CHILI AIN'T GOT BEANS IT AIN'T GOT BEANSSS"

I stared at him for a second and then stared at my chili beans to confirm that there were in fact beans in there... then I realized what was happening! So I replied "Well I can see beans in there, but if you can't see them you must have glitched in from a different version of the simulation? Does the crock pot appear empty to you? Are there holes in space/time where the beans should be? Well that's a shame that you won't be able to eat with us." Then later I caught him trying to eat some of my chili beans because he was probably hungry, but of course I made a big deal about it not being reality for him so it could rupture the universe divide if someone from his version of the sim attempted to consume the shadow realm beans. It might have seemed rude of me, but that's the sort of thing that causes ULAMOG THE CEASELESS HUNGER to enter your plane of existence.

Then, as if meeting a sim-walker wasn't enough strangeness for one day, I went to take a piss at the porta-potty and saw a man pointing at hisself yelling "WOOF WOOOFF WOOOOOF!" My fragile mind snapped.
ur both wrong. it ain't real chili unless it's got plastic liner in the crock pot!

Brick

man the sim glitchin. i just left my preggo wife in labor at the hospital because i was so hungry and passed the philly cheesesteak place on the next block and was like nahhh. without reading this thread!