• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Beardown About...Rose Bowl #0

They actually lost like 7 of their last 9 by a single score.

I stand by my statement.

The guy was there at the birth of the Air Raid when he was coaching at BYU and probably contributed a great deal to its development. Since then, he has had a couple of nice seasons as a coordinator, but also a number of pretty stanky ones. It is notable that he hasn't stayed in any one job very long after BYU and that the people who are left behind after he moves don't seem to miss him.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Norm Chow has been done for a decade.

Always found it interesting that Chow didn't manage to parlay his success as USC's OC into a head corching gig in college. The knock on him seemed to be that he was "not HC material" in that his personality wasn't gregarious or forceful enough to deal with boosters, administrators, and such.

Still - an OC gig in the pros probably set him up nicely.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
UCLA-UT will be a bloodbath. I expect UCLA to open the box.

A lot of people think Texas will contend for something this season. Contend for a bowl bid? Sure. Contend for the conference shampship or more? Nah, b. UT is a colossal mess and they're more than a competent HC/staff away from being "back."

There seems to be some good games on opening week. I'm most excited for Okie Lite-FSU :grin:

Kingsbury.gif

This is your head coach, Techsters.

UCLA-UT will be a bloodbath. I expect UCLA to open the box.

A lot of people think Texas will contend for something this season. Contend for a bowl bid? Sure. Contend for the conference shampship or more? Nah, b. UT is a colossal mess and they're more than a competent HC/staff away from being "back."

Texas has been a "colossal mess" for going on five years now. Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery. Getting rid of your butter-toothed fraud of a coach is the second.

What does step 3 look like? I have no idea.

I agree that Texas won't be winning the Big XII this season. That's okay. They only won it like twice under Coach February anyway.

Bruce Wayne

Do you have a hate for Pinkel or for Mizzou? I can't tell even after several years.

I'm do not like mizzou, but this speaks for itself:

His girlfriend also went on to tell the female victim, "I understand how upset you are. I am too - he drug me out by my neck and hurt me too...we just need to move quickly on this before he's arrested and before his warrant is public. He will be kicked out of Mizzou and the[n] not qualify for the draft next year. The coaches talked to me and explained to [m]e how serious this is and there's no time to waste at this point."

http://www.komu.com/news/text-messages-shed-light-on-dgb-burglary-assault-allegations-55423/

The the coaches were trying to cover this up. Pinkel should resign.

gilstein21

i don't mind more bowls. They're meaningless but outside of the top tier all bowl games are and have been. I just won't be watching any of the less intriguing matchups.

i don't mind more bowls. They're meaningless but outside of the top tier all bowl games are and have been. I just won't be watching any of the less intriguing matchups.

Exactly.

I always laughed when people said that introducing a playoff would make the bowls less relevant. Outside of a handful, they are all irrelevant already. They are made-for-TV exhibitions that mostly appeal to fans of the programs involved and to a segment of hardcore CFB fans.

How could the Pinstripe Bowl, for instance, have been made less relevant?

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Exactly.

I always laughed when people said that introducing a playoff would make the bowls less relevant. Outside of a handful, they are all irrelevant already. They are made-for-TV exhibitions that mostly appeal to fans of the programs involved and to a segment of hardcore CFB fans.

How could the Pinstripe Bowl, for instance, have been made less relevant?

The Pinstripe Bowl is in the most famous stadium in the world and the most famous team in baseball plays there. :trollface: The true question is how could the Pinstripe Bowl be made MORE relevent?

Sorry, that bowl strikes a nerve with me moreso than the rest of the shit-tasic bowls.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Does it actually fight hunger or line Kraft and/or the bowl organizers pockets with more money?

Cant remember which bowl it was (shows how memorable it was), but I remember flipping channels one year and seeing a bowl game played between two 6-6 or 7-5 mid-majors that was played in Albuquerque, NM. The stands were about as full as at a WNBA game, and what few fans there were, were dressed up like Eskimos. I'm not sure, but I imagine that the organizers and sponsors of that one lost their shirts. Who in fuck thought it would be a good idea to host a bowl game in Albuquerque in late December?

ZeekLTK

Why does it upset anyone that there are shitty bowls? How does it affect you? You're mad that ESPN isn't showing some shitty NBA game in that timeslot instead? Other than that, I fail to see how simply not watching it is any type of inconvenience for you.

Also, why the hate for Pinstripe Bowl? IMO that's is one of the better bowl games because a) it's in the north, b) it has a decent name that isn't simply the "name of some corporation" Bowl (okay, yeah, it's named after the Yankees, but at least "Pinstripe" is kind of neat way to reference them without uncreatively calling it the "New York Yankees Bowl" or the gofuckyourself.com Bowl or whatever - and those .com ones are the worst of the worst when it comes to names).

Last edited:
Why does it upset anyone that there are shitty bowls? How does it affect you? You're mad that ESPN isn't showing some shitty NBA game in that timeslot instead? Other than that, I fail to see how simply not watching it is any type of inconvenience for you.

Also, why the hate for Pinstripe Bowl? IMO that's is one of the better bowl games because a) it's in the north, b) it has a decent name that isn't simply the "name of some corporation" Bowl (okay, yeah, it's named after the Yankees, but at least "Pinstripe" is kind of neat way to reference them without uncreatively calling it the "New York Yankees Bowl" or the gofuckyourself.com Bowl or whatever - and those .com ones are the worst of the worst when it comes to names).

I don't hate the Pinstripe Bowl. I don't hate any bowl game. More college football on TV always = good, in my book.

That doesn't mean I can't make fun of it. Or point out that it doesn't matter to anybody who didn't go to Rutgers or Syracuse.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
You don't want to attend spring games? You're at Georgia Tech! YOU CAN DO THAT!

http://bloguin.com/crystalballrun/2014-articles/117-fans-attended-georgia-techs-spring-game.html

117? That’s the number that’s been floating around social media in terms of fans that attended the Georgia Tech spring game on Friday night. 117! In contrast, the population of the city of Atlanta (Georgia Tech’s home) is over 400,000 and the Atlanta metro area has over six million people. Six million people! If we are to believe social media, only 117 of those six million showed up for Georgia Tech’s spring game on Friday night.

Georgia Tech PR Guy (@DeanBuchan) stayed away from attendance on his tweets and in the story he filed last night and GT’s Athletic Director Mike Bobinski (@GaTechAD) didn’t tweet about the game at all (I guess it wasn’t as important as a Georgia Tech baseball game for him).
Here’s a picture of the game tweeted out by local sports reporter Samuel Crenshaw

In comparison to Georgia Tech’s attendance, Clemson and FSU both had over 30,000 fans, Louisville had 27,500 and Maryland brought in 8,400. SB Nation has a full listinghere (here is a separate confirmed list of spring attendance figures, able to be sorted by conference).
So what went wrong? Obviously the weather had a huge impact as it rained last night in Atlanta.

Maybe the bigger overall problem is Georgia Tech moving their spring game to Friday night and trying to re-brand it “Friday Night on the Flats”. The first year of the re-brand, Georgia Tech had an attendance of 18,125. Last year, they drew just 5,000. And then this year, the “rumored” number of 117.

The idea to move the spring game to Friday night worked for one year but it’s not always good just to be different (especially in a city with the kind of traffic that Atlanta has on a Friday evening). The move to Friday could have been done with the idea that more recruits would be available to come to the game (since it wasn’t on the same day as Clemson, FSU, Georgia, Auburn or Alabama) and the AJC reported that a big crowd of recruits was expected for this years game. That may backfire if these same recruits head over to Alabama or Auburn today to see what a spring game at those schools are like.

Weather not included, having a spring game on a Friday night is not a good idea (unless it’s done on a one off). A better idea is to have it on a Sunday afternoon or take a page out of Duke’s playbook and have it earlier in the year or later in the year where you don’t have to compete with other schools for prospect visits.

This attendance figure can be seen as a cross-roads of the Paul Johnson era at Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech football has not been horrible under Johnson as they’ve posted a 47-32 record and have gone 31-17 in the ACC but most of Johnson’s success came in the first two years playing with Chan Gailey’s players. In the last four years, GT has gone 28-25 and has gone 0-8 against the best two teams in their half of the conference (Miami and Virginia Tech) and are a combined 1-7 against Clemson and Georgia.
The attendance at Georgia Tech’s spring game was a black eye but it shows how dedicated the fan base is to Paul Johnson and the team that he’s putting out on the field. No matter the rain, fans would have came out if they felt Johnson had this team headed in the right direction but right now they don’t know that and Johnson does not have the buy-in of the fans. The attendance of this game, while not very important when looked at by itself, underlies the state of Georgia Tech football and makes this a make it or break it year for Paul Johnson.

bjc

Butt Naked Wonda
Things I give more fucks about than Georgia Tech's spring game attendance and what opposing fans think about it: everything

Plus spring games are ghey anyway.

fsuprime

My cousin, a senior at GT, says most of his friends are just hoping paul johnson gets fired.

He is an fsu fan first anyways so doesn't really care