• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

NCAA Defensive Discussion

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Usually if his first read is a throw inside the hashes and he stares it down by the time he comes off of it the corners will be in a good place to play the curls but @TXHusker are you robbing the field in 2x2 or just sticking with what side the defensive formation aligns you to ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The short answer is yes, any time I user control the FS (which is probably 90% of the game) I rob towards the passing strength of the formation or towards the field vs a balanced set. I just feel like I can cover more ground that way and in both my Inverted Cover 2 and Cover 3 (which I treat just like inverted Cover 2), I trust my corners to cover deep allowing me to take more chances jumping short/intermediate passes and help in the run game. That's pretty much 90% of my defense, just user controlling the FS and jumping short/intermediate routes and run support. I get a lot of interceptions taking away the first read and forcing someone to throw late to a secondary option

However, 2x2 with the ball on the hash is one of the times I find myself user controlling a player other than the FS. Since so many people love throwing quick to the backside on the hash, I'll typically user control my backside strong safety with inside leverage on #2. I'll carry him vertical if he goes vertical, if he crosses my face I'll let him go and track #1. I do the same vs 3x2 Empty sets.

Generally speaking, I'll just play the passing strength. Carry the innermost receiver vertical, if he does anything else, let him go and wait for crossers to try and jump for a pick. It works for me, but it takes a lot of feel for the game and a lot of anticipation. Most users get into fairly predictable patterns. I trust my CPU CBs to cover me deep in both Cover 3 and Inverted Cover 2 (which is essentially the same coverage for me) and that lets me take a lot of risks going for INTs and attacking the run game.

The simplicity is nice. I don't concern myself with much man coverage and I never press, which I feel is unique for most users in NCAA. I treat my defense much the same way as Cover 4. Pattern read and run support with the FS.

CoachTuck

I usually myself take the backer to the passing strength and take first crosser or match 3

LEGEND

How is it... That the defensive players with the poorest tackle rating... Are some of the best at tackling?

I have yet to understand how the cpu CB's.. no matter how low their tackle ratings are... Are some of the best at tackling. They come flying off the corner and 9 times out of 10... They're making the tackle!

I just don't get it?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Someone needs to host a clinic on stopping offset gun runs. When I can't stop the IZ/Zone Read combo with 9 men in the box, we've got problems.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Someone needs to host a clinic on stopping offset gun runs. When I can't stop the IZ/Zone Read combo with 9 men in the box, we've got problems.

Ask @Flanntastic, he wrecks my run game. Always has. I went Pistol in part because of Flann's defense. From what I can tell, he's in a 335 with spread DL and pinched LBs.

It looks something like this:

------------------------------FS------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------WS------B--B--B------SS--------------------
---C-------------------E-----N-----E--------------------C----
---X--------------------T-G-C-G-T----------Y----------------
-------------H--------------------------------------------Z---
------------------------------Q--------------------------------
---------------------------------F------------------------------

Something in the alignment typically allows for one of the LBs to run through the line unblocked on inside zone. I think it is the way the double teams rotate. The tackles are one on one vs the ends on IZ, you get a double team on the NT. Whichever guard doesn't double usually picks up one of the backers but the double team never seems to rotate quick enough and you get run through. He uses aggressive option defense so calling read instead of zone does let me get one more blocker to the second level but then he usually cleans up with his FS. The press coverage makes it tough to throw.

It does leave you weak in some other areas, but I can never seem to successfully attack those areas so it doesn't help much. I never seem to have much trouble with offset gun inside zone, I think because I do something similar with my 425. Spread DL, pinched LB and aggressive manual FS play. Where I struggle is vs offset gun counter.

I'm not sure what your base defense is but you might try playing around with some spread/pinch in the front 6-7.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Ask @Flanntastic, he wrecks my run game. Always has. I went Pistol in part because of Flann's defense. From what I can tell, he's in a 335 with spread DL and pinched LBs.

It looks something like this:

------------------------------FS------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------WS------B--B--B------SS--------------------
---C-------------------E-----N-----E--------------------C----
---X--------------------T-G-C-G-T----------Y----------------
-------------H--------------------------------------------Z---
------------------------------Q--------------------------------
---------------------------------F------------------------------

Something in the alignment typically allows for one of the LBs to run through the line unblocked on inside zone. I think it is the way the double teams rotate. The tackles are one on one vs the ends on IZ, you get a double team on the NT. Whichever guard doesn't double usually picks up one of the backers but the double team never seems to rotate quick enough and you get run through. He uses aggressive option defense so calling read instead of zone does let me get one more blocker to the second level but then he usually cleans up with his FS. The press coverage makes it tough to throw.

It does leave you weak in some other areas, but I can never seem to successfully attack those areas so it doesn't help much. I never seem to have much trouble with offset gun inside zone, I think because I do something similar with my 425. Spread DL, pinched LB and aggressive manual FS play. Where I struggle is vs offset gun counter.

I'm not sure what your base defense is but you might try playing around with some spread/pinch in the front 6-7.

I've been trying to run a Tampa 2, and my idea was to pinch the line to create a 1i & a 2 tech with LB plugging the other gaps. The problem is IZ would double team the DL and then move up to the LB's perfectly. Ironically, moving to Nickel 3-3-5 did better than having 4-3 guys out there (Lol @ this game). As long as I gave a two-high look, it was IZ or Zone Read all day. I finally stopped the zone read, but I was never able to prevent my opponent from gaining 3+ yards per carry. It was a frustrating game because that was probably 75% of the calls - he'd either hard-call or check at the line. Why doesn't the 4-3 book have the 46 in it? That would have cut out IZ very quickly.

Walter323

theres something that makes the IZ rip any 4 man front apart. 335 works well to stop it if you have your NG slanting one way or another taking on 2 blocks to free up a LB to fill the hole.

bluejay13

Would 4-3 Under help mitigate that?
4-3 Under and bring the SAM on the line with a blitz(Slant left is the play I believe?). Position your MIKE and WILL stacked behind your preference of defensive lineman so the D-Line acts as a shield from offensive lineman coming to the second level.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

If you're talking about Powerhouse, good luck. The sliders dictate you're never going to stop these 99 OVR teams from picking up at least 4 unless you play out of your mind with a user defender and make the play every snap.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I run a 4 man front with a lot of success against the run, but it is typically at a sacrifice of my pass defense. I find that spreading the DL helps a lot more than pinching it does. That is backwards, but I like the way the ends get up field to contain plays allowing my DT and LB and my manual FS to clean up the interior.

I've never really had any difficulty stopping the run. There have been a few games where I just got beat personnel on personnel where broken tackles and perimeter pancake blocks just got the best of me but I will rarely get beat by the run. My defenses are typically among the best in run defense and dead last in pass defense. The problem is most users in NCAA are too scared to do what it takes to stop the run because of how easy it is to throw. If you do all it takes to stop the run, including offset runs, you're leaving yourself open to the pass and most users in this game are pass heavy. I made the conscious decision to sell out to stop run and then force teams to the air where hopefully I can force a mistake. Works great most of the time but when it goes bad, it goes BAD.

Too many people playing this game think that they can just put bodies in the box and stop the run without thinking about how those players are reacting post-snap. The number of people who run press man Cover 1/2 with 8 in the box blows my mind. If I'm in an 11 personnel Wing Gun formation with an H and you're in Cover 2 Man, 5 players on your defense are taking their first steps away from the play. That leaves me 6 blocking 6 plus a read. Just because they are in the box doesn't mean they know what they are supposed to be doing. A big part of my success defensively against the run is that I'm in zone 99% of the game and I have 4 zone defenders in or near the box watching the play, not a receiver and react accordingly. That leaves me 4 zone defenders, 4 DL and my manual FS to stop the run. You have got to have a devastating run game to beat that.

LEGEND

I run a 4 man front with a lot of success against the run, but it is typically at a sacrifice of my pass defense. I find that spreading the DL helps a lot more than pinching it does. That is backwards, but I like the way the ends get up field to contain plays allowing my DT and LB and my manual FS to clean up the interior.

I've never really had any difficulty stopping the run. There have been a few games where I just got beat personnel on personnel where broken tackles and perimeter pancake blocks just got the best of me but I will rarely get beat by the run. My defenses are typically among the best in run defense and dead last in pass defense. The problem is most users in NCAA are too scared to do what it takes to stop the run because of how easy it is to throw. If you do all it takes to stop the run, including offset runs, you're leaving yourself open to the pass and most users in this game are pass heavy. I made the conscious decision to sell out to stop run and then force teams to the air where hopefully I can force a mistake. Works great most of the time but when it goes bad, it goes BAD.

Too many people playing this game think that they can just put bodies in the box and stop the run without thinking about how those players are reacting post-snap. The number of people who run press man Cover 1/2 with 8 in the box blows my mind. If I'm in an 11 personnel Wing Gun formation with an H and you're in Cover 2 Man, 5 players on your defense are taking their first steps away from the play. That leaves me 6 blocking 6 plus a read. Just because they are in the box doesn't mean they know what they are supposed to be doing. A big part of my success defensively against the run is that I'm in zone 99% of the game and I have 4 zone defenders in or near the box watching the play, not a receiver and react accordingly. That leaves me 4 zone defenders, 4 DL and my manual FS to stop the run. You have got to have a devastating run game to beat that.
If you are in zone... Then how do you stop those defenders from taking their first steps... away from the play?

I try to play predominantly zone but my defenders always step away... Even when looking directly at a run. I can't get my defenders to shoot gaps like people I play against. My defenders always shoot the wrong gap or run directly into a blocker. Or I get that silly which way did he go animation.... Where they are completely lost!

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
An issue I've found (because OD's outlaw run commit):
In Cover 1, the free safety should attack the LOS on run plays, but he actually walks backwards even when the running back hits the hole. Is there any way to fix this other than usering the safety. I'm stuck in my ways of playing the Mike (have been for 15 years).

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
If you are in zone... Then how do you stop those defenders from taking their first steps... away from the play?

I try to play predominantly zone but my defenders always step away... Even when looking directly at a run. I can't get my defenders to shoot gaps like people I play against. My defenders always shoot the wrong gap or run directly into a blocker. Or I get that silly which way did he go animation.... Where they are completely lost!

That sounds more like an awareness/play recognition issue. I never seem to have a problem with my LBs reacting almost immediately as long as they are in hook (yellow) zones. Don't forget that play recognition has a pretty big impact on run defense. I'm lucky to have two very, very good LBs at Nebraska in my 425.

As for handling the wrong gap, that's just a programming issue. There is no gap assignment in the game, so you basically have to just aim them and hope. In 425, if I really need to handle gaps in run support, I will call that double A Gap blitz, pinch my LB and spread my DL (but hot route them to rush inside). That gives me pretty good gap coverage. The LBs handle the A Gaps, the DTs handle the B Gaps, the DEs typically handle C Gaps/perimeter contain. I manually clean up whatever is left at FS.

An issue I've found (because OD's outlaw run commit):
In Cover 1, the free safety should attack the LOS on run plays, but he actually walks backwards even when the running back hits the hole. Is there any way to fix this other than usering the safety. I'm stuck in my ways of playing the Mike (have been for 15 years).

In short... nope. There is no way to fix that if you want him to keep that Cover 1 assignment. If your DB is in deep half/third/quarter coverage, he will always take those false steps backwards first. Even if you manually control him. In my case, I typically hot route my manual FS to a spy every play so he takes no false steps and I get immediate control of him. I can cover his assignment manually, usually starting 20 yards deep, reacting to run and then pattern reading pass.

I get away with that because 99% of the time my CBs are in deep half/third coverage and can cover me to take risks with my FS. I get a whole lot of INTs from people thinking they have me beat up the seam when I cheat in the middle of the field with my FS only to have my corner gain depth and slip under the seam/post for a pick.

Self scouting helps a lot of D, I know my philosophy (stop the run, force mistakes through the air) and know my weaknesses (10-20 yards deep outside the hash) and can funnel people into being predictable. It does help that I know the game's dumbass programming so well and can compensate for it. I can't imagine if someone came into this game cold, having never played it and hoped to play defense against experienced users.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Anyone based out of quarters coverage ?

I would love to because I love the Quarters defense in general, but Quarters is more or less busted in game. The safeties don't know what they are doing and you get a lot of blow bys up the seam when they get confused.

I use quite a bit of inverted Cover 2 and Cover 6 and apply Quarters rules to them with my manually controlled FS but that's about as far as I go. I wish Quarters actually worked, I think it is the perfect defensive scheme for what you typically face in user v user play but nope.

CoachTuck

Cover 3 just worried because eventually the game gets to a point where a guys gonna consistently start sending guys up the seams and I've lost my depth trying to rob from 8 yards

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Cover 3 just worried because eventually the game gets to a point where a guys gonna consistently start sending guys up the seams and I've lost my depth trying to rob from 8 yards

What is your base defense? If you're in an even front, use some inverted Cover 2 out of 4-4. The two deep corners actually work inside-out and do a great job covering the seam. I get so many interceptions in my 4-2-5 defense by audibling to a 4-4 inverted Cover 2. Those deep corners are really good about jumping routes up the seam.

Otherwise, you can use the deep zone hot routes. In Cover 3, you can run a Cloud coverage and rotate your safeties to the field (Y+right/left stick I believe). But make sure it is Cloud coverage or something with a buzz (purple) zone to the boundary because otherwise there will be a HUGE hole in the defense along the boundary sideline.

If you really find yourself getting smoked up the seams, you can also go to some Cover 6 with the 1/4 coverages to the field and the 1/2 coverage to the boundary.

Also, get comfortable using the aggressive/conservative zone adjustments on every play. I will change that setting based on down and distance, basing out of aggressive and then going conservative in & Long situations when I want my LBs to carry guys up the field a little bit more.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I've been basing out of 4 for the most part this year. It's worked alright, considering how terrible my defense is but my philosophy is different than most people's I'm sure. If I can force a turnover or two and hold people to 28-31 points, I'm happy. In user games this year, I've given up 35 (0 second half points), 56 (not as bad as it seems, 21 was due to punt return TD, INT return to the 5, and short field from a failed onside), and 16 (lucky 4 Verts TD against Cover 4 and garbage time TD).

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I've been basing out of 4 for the most part this year. It's worked alright, considering how terrible my defense is but my philosophy is different than most people's I'm sure. If I can force a turnover or two and hold people to 28-31 points, I'm happy. In user games this year, I've given up 35 (0 second half points), 56 (not as bad as it seems, 21 was due to punt return TD, INT return to the 5, and short field from a failed onside), and 16 (lucky 4 Verts TD against Cover 4 and garbage time TD).

lol yeah the 56 in our game was not as bad as it looked. My first drive started inside the 10 then the 85 yard punt return to end the half and the failed onside to start the second half made things ugly.

I don't ever get too worked up about my yards given up. I'm routinely top 5 in run defense and dead last in pass defense. I give up SO MANY passing yards, but I'm letting the passing yards happen. I want slow methodical passing drives. If someone manages to complete 7 or 8 passes on a drive and score, they earned the TD. I like my chances of forcing a turnover or forcing someone into a 2nd and 3rd & Long more than the chances of allowing that many completions over and over.

Important to just have an identity and know your weaknesses on defense.

LEGEND

I know my weakness on defense... but can't seem to do anything about it. I don't understand why I drop so many interceptions! It's something that causes me several wins each season.

I'm guaranteed to drop at least two game changing picks a game. Played a user last night that defenders broke on every pass I attempted. In return... mine broke on 0! He would throw into tight man coverage without any concerns.

Anyway.... I managed to keep the game close. I finally got back to back stops in the fourth quarter and closed it to 27-24. Needing a stop I finally baited him into a bad read and throw. He throws it directly to my LB... Who as you can guess... Dropped it!

He went for it on 4th and 7 converted it... Game over! I don't know what I'm doing wrong... But it's something! It happens in every dynasty. If I get picks they are all in the 1st half! Come 2nd half I guaranteed to drop them all!

LEGEND

I actually have a question... Are there some man under or cover 1 coverages that are better than others?

I ask because I see opponents play these coverages... And their defenders always take this tight trail position. It makes it near impossible to throw to the receiver without it being picked!

I've played corners with 99 man 99 zone high awr and play reaction and agility and never seem to get that tight coverage. I've had 99 acc cb's with 97 speed get burned by 85 speed wr's on take off's! I'm missing something here?

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I think the difference is that they're pass committing, but I'm not sure. I've always had the same problem; man seems to a complete disaster for me no matter what I do whereas I often get my WRs smothered all over the place when someone plays press man.

I just gave up and play 99% solely zone, which I think is better anyway. Most people are pretty terrible at reading coverages and given how bad defense is in this game in general, it's better to get the chance of confusing someone rather than giving them man and just hoping your guys can hold up in coverage.

LEGEND

I think the difference is that they're pass committing, but I'm not sure. I've always had the same problem; man seems to a complete disaster for me no matter what I do whereas I often get my WRs smothered all over the place when someone plays press man.

I just gave up and play 99% solely zone, which I think is better anyway. Most people are pretty terrible at reading coverages and given how bad defense is in this game in general, it's better to get the chance of confusing someone rather than giving them man and just hoping your guys can hold up in coverage.
Heh... I'm just terrible at defense period! I've been trying to play 90% zone and I get shredded just the same! I try aggressive,balanced,conservative doesn't matter!

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

Yep, that's pretty much what I do. I hate playing man but any time someone plays man against me I feel like no one is open no matter what route concepts I'm running. I play zone pretty much every down and think I can force mistakes easier that way.

LEGEND

Heh... dropped picks have literally caused me 4 user games this wk! One last night with 2 seconds on the clock. He scored next play with 0:00. Lost today with 6 seconds after another drop.

Go figure!

LEGEND

Anyone running a traditional 3-4 or 4-3 defense? By that I mean just str8 4-3 or 3-4 with the traditional nickel and dime packages... No 335 or 425 added.

Is it even feasible on this game? I'm sure anything is possible but would you get shredded more than normal? On paper my recruiting caters to a 4-3 defense... When looking at it. But I only seem to have success against the cpu when running 4-3. I do have success with my hybrid 335/3-4 scheme.... But I feel I'm not using the talent I have correctly.

I really want to hear more about someone running 4-3 but any assistance or advice is appreciated.

Flanntastic

NCAA Moderator
i think a 4-3 hybrid with SS at both OLB positions would be great, but there is so much spread that a normal 4-3 OLB would get shredded by the slot. Most NCAA players throw to the slot more than to outside WRs

LEGEND

i think a 4-3 hybrid with SS at both OLB positions would be great, but there is so much spread that a normal 4-3 OLB would get shredded by the slot. Most NCAA players throw to the slot more than to outside WRs
I've thought about trying that.... I've actually done it with the 335. Doing it with 4-3 might actually make more sense. I know weight doesn't matter in this game... But my OLB's tend to be in the 215-225 lb range. They never seem to cut it in the 335. I have moved some to SS and even FS when I had depth issues.

They actually played great in those positions... My only issue was when I went man. They got smoked on streaks!

That reminds me...

I had depth issues in that same OD and moved a DE to MLB.

He was a beast!!!$

He had like 92 acceleration and 78 speed. He'd shed blocks and stuff the run like a mad man. He actually led my team in interceptions too!

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

Yep, it is very easy to throw to slots and it is typically harder to get the ball to the perimeter. In my 425 I've taken to just playing CBs at SS specifically to cover slots. Most SS generated in recruiting are garbage cover guys and/or are too slow to hang with speedy slots while it is easy as hell to load up on CB or defensive ATH and just play them at the SS spots. Gives me 4 legit cover corners on the field at a time plus a deep safety who can hopefully tackle well.

Lose a bit when it comes to run support since corners can't tackle shit but seems like damn near everyone is throwing the ball more anyway.

Atmore

I've played lobby games using only 43 with mixed results. I stayed in 43 over and over odd. I just mixed all the various cover 3 plays over and over. It worked well on the pass with all the assignments switching. The running not so well because the LBs would end up in crazy alignments or spread out. It was only a couple of games never tried again

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I've played lobby games using only 43 with mixed results. I stayed in 43 over and over odd. I just mixed all the various cover 3 plays over and over. It worked well on the pass with all the assignments switching. The running not so well because the LBs would end up in crazy alignments or spread out. It was only a couple of games never tried again

Yeah I have 4-3 in my Multiple Even defense but it isn't something I'd spend much time based out of, even against more traditional 21/12 personnel defenses. Linebackers tend to get lost in the flow and they also tend to align weird when covering TEs. When I do go 4-3, it is typically 4-3 Under in order to get a better alignment against twin TE sets but even then you're going to end up with one less player to the run strength.

If you have the LBs to cover athletic TEs and slots, it may be worth a shot but those guys are tough to come by while DBs are plentiful. If I were in a situation where I had 4 or 5 really athletic LB, I'd probably go 335 Stack with Five LBs subbed onto the field. There was a time where I would run a safety-less 425, 4 DL, 4 CB, 3 LB (one lined up at FS). I use my FS in run support so I really need that guy to be a tackler, but that is a team specific thing.

425, 335, 34 are pretty much the only 3 defenses you'll find in ODs these days.

fanoftgame

Anyone running a traditional 3-4 or 4-3 defense? By that I mean just str8 4-3 or 3-4 with the traditional nickel and dime packages... No 335 or 425 added.

Is it even feasible on this game? I'm sure anything is possible but would you get shredded more than normal? On paper my recruiting caters to a 4-3 defense... When looking at it. But I only seem to have success against the cpu when running 4-3. I do have success with my hybrid 335/3-4 scheme.... But I feel I'm not using the talent I have correctly.

I really want to hear more about someone running 4-3 but any assistance or advice is appreciated.

That's all used but, I mainly played online. The short of it is I play zone 95% of the time. Check your rolb stats. From what I've seen you dont really gain much in zone coverage subbing in a backup safety into his spot. But on the flip side his block shedding is a major advantage for you on defense. You don't have to commit so many guys to the box because if it a run to his side and a wr is over him, he might as well be an unblocked defender because he will quickly shed the wide recievers block.

In passing game most rolb have very good zone cvr rating and since its zone you eliminate alot of the mismatch problems with a wr vs linebacker.

Also the mlb is usually the best rated linebacker on the team. So I will often move him to lolb. His block shedeing, str, and awarnes will reek havoc on strongside runs, and his spd and zone coverage will allow him to better matchup with TE's than your true Lolb.

I can do this because I user the mlb position. And I always want to user the lowest rated player. So now I dont have to worry about his zone coverage stats, awr, ect.

If you dont user the mlb just keep everbody in there regular spot.

It makes for a pretty stout defense. I usually ran with Iowa vs pretty much anybody and I rarely left 4-3. I would only get out of it if the went 4 or more wides.

Last edited:

LEGEND

I have a team that I'm having all kind of issues with on defense. Basically the only team I played well against was an FCS 70 rated team. Every other team has pretty much torched me!

I'm undefeated and #1 in the nation... but that's all against cpu teams. The schedules got messed up and I only have 1 user game and probably a conference championship game. I need to figure out something b4 my user game in a few days.

My issue is... I have about 5-6 good defensive ends. I have 4-5 good DT's and LB's... My CB's are decent as well. My safeties.... Are a problem! I have two good coverage FS's with poor tackling and block shed. I have a good hard hitting SS with poor man coverage and decent zone... But only 77 speed.

My LB's are also part of the problem... My two top MLB's Are 90's Ovr with great block shedding and man and zone coverage for LB's... But not great speed.. Around 80. My other three LB's gave decent speed 83-86 but horrible coverage skills!

Their coverage skills are just a little better than your avg defensive ends! Matched with my slow SS and poor tackling FS's it's been a nightmare!

I've tried 4-3, 3-4, & 3-3-5... I'm not sure what to do next, any suggestions?

I'm thinking of trying to run a 3-5-3 or some sort of 4-4 scheme. Even a 4-2-5 package with 4 LB's on the field... I just don't know what to do!

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I have a team that I'm having all kind of issues with on defense. Basically the only team I played well against was an FCS 70 rated team. Every other team has pretty much torched me!

I'm undefeated and #1 in the nation... but that's all against cpu teams. The schedules got messed up and I only have 1 user game and probably a conference championship game. I need to figure out something b4 my user game in a few days.

My issue is... I have about 5-6 good defensive ends. I have 4-5 good DT's and LB's... My CB's are decent as well. My safeties.... Are a problem! I have two good coverage FS's with poor tackling and block shed. I have a good hard hitting SS with poor man coverage and decent zone... But only 77 speed.

My LB's are also part of the problem... My two top MLB's Are 90's Ovr with great block shedding and man and zone coverage for LB's... But not great speed.. Around 80. My other three LB's gave decent speed 83-86 but horrible coverage skills!

Their coverage skills are just a little better than your avg defensive ends! Matched with my slow SS and poor tackling FS's it's been a nightmare!

I've tried 4-3, 3-4, & 3-3-5... I'm not sure what to do next, any suggestions?

I'm thinking of trying to run a 3-5-3 or some sort of 4-4 scheme. Even a 4-2-5 package with 4 LB's on the field... I just don't know what to do!

If your safeties are a liability, run the 4-4 and play zone to make up for your linebackers not being able to run.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Interesting...

I've been trying to work on a qtr's defensive scheme myself. Want to mix it with a cover 3 shell I'm working on. I'm also trying to create a cover 4 shell from other formations.

I wouldn't spend much time on Quarters in NCAA, you'll encounter glitched out defense more than you get an actually effective coverage. For some reason, the two middle 1/4 guys tend to just drift off to nowhere or worse, let people run right past them.

If you want a Quarters-ish coverage, try Cover 6 with the 1/4 coverages to the wide side of the field (or to the passing strength if the ball is in the middle). I have a lot of success with Cover 6, but I only really use it in & Long or Prevent situations. I usually hot route the flat corner to the 1/2 safety side to just cover that outside WR man to man, which helps.

fanoftgame

Interesting...

I've been trying to work on a qtr's defensive scheme myself. Want to mix it with a cover 3 shell I'm working on. I'm also trying to create a cover 4 shell from other formations.

On online ranked I used one. The Key is to manually move your safeties to depth of 5-6 yards from LOS. Basically you want them parallel to the cb's depth. Also if you can move them inside of #2s, so they out leverage the slots by alignment. If you have time coverage audible middle. Usually I can get all this done by no huddle guys.

Again the key to the problem in the post above me is their depth. I finally made the connection that even though the cb are closer you cant just lead the ball away from them on a streak or post like you can the the safeties. So I moved the safeties up and it worked.

And a bonus is since they are almost a linebacker depth if they are any decent they play the run really well like quarters.

Try it out.

Craig7835

CWJJ48xWUAEbY0S.png
Wade Phillips playcall sheets. I run 4-3 similar to this

Last edited:

LEGEND

Anyone running a heavy blitzes type defensive scheme? At one point in one of my OD's.... I ran a heavy almost every down blitz scheme. I was using the blitzes to try and cover up the many holes in my defense.

I was a 2* school playing against stacked 5 & 6* teams. Although I didn't win many of my user games... It did allow me to compete. I lost most user games by 3pts or less.

I remember one user saying he'd never faced pressure like that b4! That it really had him confused and worried. It was actually my mistake in calling the same blitz back to back that allowed him to squeeze out a win!

I went away from the scheme once I got talent in... But now that my team is a 6* and top 5 recruiting every season. I'm considering trying that scheme again.

I actually ran it in a cpu game last night and record 6 sacks 3 int's and 3 forced fumbles with 2 being scoop and score. It's a legit scheme no nano's or cheesy stuff. Back when I originally ran it... my CB's all had 85 spd or less and my safeties were 78-80 speed. I used pressure to keep guys from bombing me deep all game.

It worked well for the most part... My only problem was calling the same blitz too often at times.

Last edited:

Atmore

Anyone running a heavy blitzes type defensive scheme? At one point in one of my OD's.... I ran a heavy almost every down blitz scheme. I was using the blitzes to try and cover up the many holes in my defense.

I was a 2* school playing against stacked 5 & 6* teams. Although I didn't win many of my user games... It did allow me to compete. I lost most user games by 3pts or less.

I remember one user saying he'd never faced pressure like that b4! That it really had him confused and worried. It was actually my mistake in calling the same blitz back to back that allowed him to squeeze out a win!

I went away from the scheme once I got talent in... But now that my team is a 6* and top 5 recruiting every season. I'm considering trying that scheme again.

I actually ran it in a cpu game last night and record 6 sacks 3 int's and 3 forced fumbles with 2 being scoop and score. It's a legit scheme no nano's or cheesy stuff. Back when I originally ran it... my CB's all had 85 spd or less and my safeties were 78-80 speed. I used pressure to keep guys from bombing me deep all game.

It worked well for the most part... My only problem was calling the same blitz too often at times.

What defense did you run the heavy blitz with? I see most people play 34 or 334 to either blitz or Mac cover any down. Very rarely seen a blitz heavy 4 man front defense. I try with my 425 but sometimes it's just a half a second to late and they get the ball off