• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Tank Jobs: Requiem of 1-1

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
I'm not saying the MiAAAAmi MAAAAnAAAAtees are engaged in tanking this season (*pagingMikeRizzo*) but it looks like shipping out all of the guys that wouldn't sign extensions with me has us on pace for either the worst or second worst record this season. Obviously I haven't been around the WBL as long as most of you so I'm curious how other teams have fared after "earning" the first or second overall pick.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
43-119 was my worst. That led to the 1-1, Norman.

That was an amazingly poor year. I actually made offseason signings that I thought would improve my squad closer to the .500 mark. I had a bunch of guys like Flat Tire Bernal that I wanted to flip at the trade deadline. Alas, I was terrible from the start and went wire to wire as best loser.

Last edited:

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
It obviously worked out swimmingly for me as I tanked for 1-1 and proceeded to sign my guy with no issues at all.

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
43-119 was my worst. That led to the 1-1, CMDR MORITZ NORMAN.

That was an amazingly poor year. I actually made offseason signings that I thought would improve my squad closer to the .500 mark. I had a bunch of guys like Flat Tire Bernal that I wanted to flip at the trade deadline. Alas, I was terrible from the start and went wire to wire as best loser.
When did you get Alfie?

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
When did you get Alfie?

2049. I got him 1-4. Norman was taken 1-2 to Lisbon actually. Then 1-1 the next two years.

For some reason I had Alfie tops on my board over Norman and Coral. When he slid I flipped out and traded up, I think from Little Rock.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
2049. I got him 1-4. Norman was taken 1-2 to Lisbon actually. Then 1-1 the next two years.

For some reason I had Alfie tops on my board over Norman and Coral. When he slid I flipped out and traded up, I think from Little Rock.
That's right. Yankee took Sabertooth right? That's why he slipped to 4. I always liked Alfie more than Norman, but I wanted Coral. At the time we hadn't seen a SP prospect like him in a long time. His potential dropped, but he is still solid.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, you traded me 1-7, 1-13, and Tas.

Considering I have no idea who I picked 7th and Renard was 13th, I think you win that one.

jdlikewhoa

I tanked my first three years.

The first two years I took Kasib and Keine at the 1-1.
I think the third year was the year I took Zwagger at 1-2.

Those picks, some lucky scout international finds, and IFA pickups and I put a pretty good string of playoff runs together. False Bay had some good teams and then got trounced in the playoffs repeatedly.

We'll see how this round of tanking goes.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
That's right. Yankee took Sabertooth right? That's why he slipped to 4. I always liked Alfie more than Norman, but I wanted Coral. At the time we hadn't seen a SP prospect like him in a long time. His potential dropped, but he is still solid.

Right. I considered that Sabertooth pick a shocker because people had been talking about a clear top three all pre-draft. Yankee has been a noted chooser of the lesser traveled path for years in the draft.

That was a stacked draft.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Coral was the only 1-1 I have ever had and I actually didn't even pick him. We made the trade after the fact.

This coming draft I'll have the highest pick I have had in some time. Excited for it.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Right. I considered that Sabertooth pick a shocker because people had been talking about a clear top three all pre-draft. Yankee has been a noted chooser of the lesser traveled path for years in the draft.

That was a stacked draft.
I actually liked Sabertooth a lot. If I didn't land Coral I thought I could trade up and get him mid-round. Yankee didn't allow that to happen though haha

That draft had some great prospects, but wasn't as deep as some others.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
I assume if we were talking just first round picks this thread would be the longest in the board's history, right?

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
In many ways OOTP can be reduced to resource management exercise. I'm amazed that @Yankee151 is constantly accused of getting fleeced but has put together playoff caliber teams multiple times. It's almost like the trade peanut gallery doesn't know anything.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
If I don't make the move I end the year in 7th place, and next year as well as blanks settles in paz and my pitching fall off cliffs that blanks can't fix. Thompson is good enough and I kept wan fu as well.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Munoz for Pigeon was my worst trade ever I think.

If anyone doesn't vote for Naz for HOF I will wage intergalactic war. Love that dude and he was never on my team.

jdlikewhoa

I've made some trades out of sheer boredom, but players don't play the same in Amsterdam and Helsingborg as they do elsewhere.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator

If anyone doesn't vote for Naz for HOF I will wage intergalactic war. Love that dude and he was never on my team.
You wanted to keep that other reliever. Munoz is closing in on 200 saves. He has Peder in his sights!

I made a terrible trade for Pigeon to begin with, so I'm fine with it haha.

I still don't get what is going on with Pendragon in Dam.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By

No, Fazackerly for two bum ass middle infielders in year one or two of the WBL was absolutely awful. That is a noted top 5 worst trade on this site for years.

The problem was I had HALL OF GOATS Hocine Mercier holding down first base and because there wasn't a DH yet you couldn't give away a 1B/DH type. Obviously, the trade went to fleece master @OU11. A few years later, DH was FINALLY passed unilaterally by OU since dumbass manager-owners wouldn't vote for it. @doh was a noted DH evangelist on this site for years on this site.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I've made some trades out of sheer boredom, but players don't play the same in Amsterdam and Helsingborg as they do elsewhere.
This is a myth. Don't lump Borg in with the fantastical powers of Dam. Vegas creates more shiny turds than Borg.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
No, Fazackerly for two bum ass middle infielders in year one or two of the WBL was absolutely awful. That is a noted top 5 worst trade on this site for years.

The problem was I had HALL OF GOATS Hocine Mercier holding down first base and because there wasn't a DH yet you couldn't give away a 1B/DH type. Obviously, the trade went to fleece master @OU11. A few years later, DH was FINALLY passed unilaterally by OU since dumbass manager-owners wouldn't vote for it. @doh was a noted DH evangelist on this site for years on this site.
Since we took over (2038), Faz was traded for Raul Torres (lawd what a blockbuster) then I traded for him for like a 2nd, 4th and Felliti which was a bad move by @Gooksta. However, in his defense he was in pure rebuild and no one was valuing DHs then so I scooped him up. Plus Gooksta just wanted to get rid of everyone then tank for 8 years then have someone else take his team and win the ship.

Some of the double switches and decisions the idiotic computer made was the #1 reason why I was for DH.

Another reason I've started to notice in recent years is certain players the game makes as a DH. The GOAT hitter (Haamid) is a good example. There are others that just can't field. Maybe some of them could turn into 1Bs if we were in the UBL.

EDIT: Found the Fazackerly trade

Key West sends:
1B Mason Fazackerly (WBL)

Las Vegas sends:
SP Reginaldo Felitti (AAA)
3rd Round Pick next year
6th Round Pick next year

In wRC+ he ended up finishing 3rd, 2nd, 6th, 2nd and 6th the four years with me.

Last edited:

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
This is a myth. Don't lump Borg in with the fantastical powers of Dam. Vegas creates more shiny turds than Borg.
I've tried to get "park fit guys" like Cliff Jackson. Crazy but finished with the #8 in SP ERA in WBL history. Right behind Naka and Bish and ahead of Brain. Although in my defense on the other spectrum, I've had tons of tons of picks crap out.

The only way I've been good is I used to hit on tons of cheap IFAs. That's ended. Now it's just having to constantly win trades/find bargain FAs/trade picks to fill holes. I'm teetering right now because my good players are starting to go to hell, I'm losing some good players and I don't have any prospects. But just not worth it to blow it up because you get no value back unless Tankee is trading with you.

NML

I mean a 2B getting those numbers is pretty good - if he was around today, he'd definitely be a top 10 at his position. For $15m over two years, it's not a terrible contract.

More importantly, this was a very different time in the league - 2nd round picks could get you most players, and you never traded a first unless you got a stud.