• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

2018 Motor Racing thread

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
OK where were we...

Brian France sucks

NASCAR "playoff system" aka the Chase, is ghey

New qualifying sounds cool doe.

F1 Safety car has more laps this preseason than the Red Bull team.

Aaaaaaand go:

Mr. Tennessee

That Crazy Linux Guy
Utopia Moderator
After reading what goblue posted on Petty's thoughts of Danica, I do wonder what Richard Petty thought of Janet Guthrie back when he was racing.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Janet Guthrie could actually race. The drivers in both NASCAR and CART respected her. She didn't qualify one year for the Indy 500. People thought it was because she was woman. Foyt put her in his car and send her out on an unofficial qualifying run. She put up a time which would put her on the 3rd row.

All Loy Patrick Allen has proven is she can look pretty and bring in a sponsor. But behind the wheel, she's dog shit.

Petty's right. Nobody else has the balls to say it.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
She actually wasn't bad in Indycar. She just sucks horribly in stock cars. It's all for the $$$ at this point.

Petty's right about another thing: Racing is secondary in today's NA$CAR. Shame.

Mr. Tennessee

That Crazy Linux Guy
Utopia Moderator
Janet Guthrie could actually race. The drivers in both NASCAR and CART respected her. She didn't qualify one year for the Indy 500. People thought it was because she was woman. Foyt put her in his car and send her out on an unofficial qualifying run. She put up a time which would put her on the 3rd row.

All Loy Patrick Allen has proven is she can look pretty and bring in a sponsor. But behind the wheel, she's dog shit.

Petty's right. Nobody else has the balls to say it.
I figured if anyone could drive those older cars and nab a few top 10s had to have some talent and you know it was probably in a very underfunded car.

I see Stenhouse won RoTY last year. Didn't even know who won but figured if it had been #7 the news would of been outpouring on it.

Ugghhh I want a stock car series again where you race with actual cars instead of cookie cutter cars on cookie cutter tracks or just give me a time machine and let me go back to being a kid in the late 80s and early 90s when I enjoyed watching Nascar.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I figured if anyone could drive those older cars and nab a few top 10s had to have some talent and you know it was probably in a very underfunded car.

I see Stenhouse won RoTY last year. Didn't even know who won but figured if it had been #7 the news would of been outpouring on it.

Ugghhh I want a stock car series again where you race with actual cars instead of cookie cutter cars on cookie cutter tracks or just give me a time machine and let me go back to being a kid in the late 80s and early 90s when I enjoyed watching Nascar.
Buy me some Apple stock if you ever get to do that.

Bdub

She actually wasn't bad in Indycar. She just sucks horribly in stock cars. It's all for the $$$ at this point.

Petty's right about another thing: Racing is secondary in today's NA$CAR. Shame.

She should go back to Indy. She is much better at road racing than ovals.

Iron

Sprint Unlimited was a pretty exciting race. Hamlin made a nice three wide pass and literally put 10 carlengths on the field coming to the white and they couldn't catch him.

Iron

K16GUm8.jpg

gilstein21

closing speed seems to be pretty quick. The side draft seems to be exaggerated too. Interested to see both with a full field of cars.

Iron

Dillon wins pole, no surprise. Fastest in winter and was top 3 in both practice sessions. Michael Annett for me is the surprise of the useless qualifying session, nearly cracked the top 10.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
A blogger's take on the Chase and the points system:

When you criticize a change, you've got to have your own ideas in place as to what the changes should be. And here are mine, which have evolved a bit over the last couple of years:

1. Get rid of the Chase. Go back to a legitimate, full-season championship. Brain Dead says he listens to the fans whenever he makes changes. No he doesn't. That's a lie. If he was listening to real fans, he would have canned the Chase almost as soon as he created it. It has bastardized the sport, and now this "winner-take-all" race at Homestead, a pathetic attempt to create that "game 7" excitement that Brain Dead continually seeks, completes the process of destruction. Here's a scenario that would guarantee that the Chase is relegated to the dumpster: Junior wins the 500 and half a dozen other races during the first 26, and leads the point’s standings every week. He then wins a race during each of the three Chase segments prior to Homestead, again leading the standings each week. Then, at Homestead, he cuts a tire on lap 25, smashes into the wall, and ends up fourth among the final four. In an attempt to placate an apoplectic Junior Nation, the Chase would hopefully finally be dumped by Brain Dead.

2. Revamp the points system. Right now, the "one point gained per position" system equates a pass for 33rd place to a pass for 3rd place. Pure weapons-grade stupidity. I'd go back to a modified form of the Latford system, which correctly put more emphasis on passes for position made at the front of the field versus those made in the back of the field. Separate spots in the top 10 by five points, spots in 11-20 by four points, and 21-25 by three points. Spots 26-43 would still be separated by one point. The race winner gets 150 points, second place gets 145, etc. The 43rd place finisher would get 32 points. It would work, much like the Latford system worked for so many years, until the cementheads decided to make things "easier" for the fans, who they think must have the collective IQ of a radish.

3. You want an emphasis on winning? Here you go: the race winner each week gets a 30 point bonus. Additionally, the second place driver gets a 10 point bonus and the third place driver gets a 5 point bonus, ensuring that at least on some occasions there would be some real bumping and banging within the top five.

4. Finally, no more bonus point for leading one lap. To get a bonus for leading laps, you must lead at least five of them. No more guys staying out during a caution to lead a lap and collect a cheap bonus point, and definitely no more "leader slows down so his teammate can lead a lap and get a bonus point" crap that seems to go on every week. The more laps you lead, the bigger the bonus: if you lead 5-19 laps, you get one bonus point. If you lead 20+ laps but not the most laps, you get five bonus points. The driver who leads the most laps gets ten bonus points.

Bdub

Why can't they just run the season like every other major racing series on earth. Why does nascar have to be different?

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
As am I. The man is singlehandedly driving the sport into the ground. Sell your stake in NASCAR and go buy a goddamn stick and ball team already, you fuckwad.

Bdub

What is this 4 commercial segments in a row with about 10 seconds of commentary between them.

Iron

Spoilers:

Dale Jr. wins a fantastic night time Daytona 500. Pack racing was great. Too many crashes but damn Jr. was pumped up.

BIG EVIL

America's Finest
Great race. Still way too difficult to pass the lead car tho. Horrible night for all the rookies. I believe every single one of them was involved in a wreck.

Iron

Great race. Still way too difficult to pass the lead car tho. Horrible night for all the rookies. I believe every single one of them was involved in a wreck.

I think they can thank Austin Dillon for that.

Jr. was the dominant car at the end, led 54 of the final 69 laps. 43 lead changes overall.

Plotty

Tath Meacher
This being the first race I sat down and watched in years...mildly impressed. Could get back into watching. Love the fact people are pissed Dale Jr won....personally, I bet with that win there are some demons that were slayed...most notable the infamous race where Dad died, he finally won!

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
This being the first race I sat down and watched in years...mildly impressed. Could get back into watching. Love the fact people are pissed Dale Jr won....personally, I bet with that win there are some demons that were slayed...most notable the infamous race where Dad died, he finally won!

The 500? This was his second win.