• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

SMALL BALLERS GON LOOK MLB 2024 Thread

Brick

rockies down 7-0 with more errors than hits. cant wait to see these BUMS in person fall down 2 or 3 runs immediately tomorrow.

Brick

@Travis7401 @DeadMan @DINGERNATION what can the rockies realistically do with this roster assuming SELL DA TEAM and FIRE BUD off the table? tovar prolly the only untouchable on the roster, right? could see jones (although has been dogwater this year) and doyle being a solid duo in the outfield long term i guess.

Brick

i feel like montero has the bat to hit a ton of homers and doubles but feel like he kind of has to prove hisself this or next year.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
@Travis7401 @DeadMan @DINGERNATION what can the rockies realistically do with this roster assuming SELL DA TEAM and FIRE BUD off the table? tovar prolly the only untouchable on the roster, right? could see jones (although has been dogwater this year) and doyle being a solid duo in the outfield long term i guess.
Jones, Doyle, and Tovar could be a reasonable core to build around, but I'm not sure their ceilings are what you want for a contender. Maybe Jones, but he'll need to do it for more than one season for me to think that. Doyle and Tovar are great fielders with questionable bats, so you'd have to make sure the rest of the team can hit.

Beyond that, the rest of the team is terrible. The starting pitching is pretty much AAA level. Most of the pitchers are pretty old, too. The best case ontario is that the Rockies trade everyone who is not named Jones, Doyle, and Tovar and commit to a full rebuild. Their farm talent isn't great, either, so they need to restock that. But who on this team is worth trading for? I guess you hope some relievers have good years where you can get something for them. You can probably get something decent for Diaz. Beyond that, nobody is going to take on Kris Byrant's contract or give up much for league average players like Ryan McMahon.

It's really bad, and the organization really fucked up by deluding themselves for years that they were close to being a contender. So they have the triple whammy of a shitty team, a shitty farm system, and the worst contract in baseball. Not great, Bob.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
White Sox put together a nice core but didn’t augment well and hired la Russa lol. So when taking a step back they are light years ahead of the Rockies.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
White Sox put together a nice core but didn’t augment well and hired la Russa lol. So when taking a step back they are light years ahead of the Rockies.

The Rockies contracts and roster are worse than anything @Reel or @bruin @bruin228 managed to fuck up in the WBL, which is really kind of amazing since @Reel had some 20 range DH playing Center Fielder and @bruin228 only drafted 80/80 SEC speed dudes who couldn't figure out which end of the bat to swing with. I made it like a month into the season and realized that half my fuckin payroll was dead money for the next 5 years and just quit. What the Rockies need to do is time travel to 2028 or 2029 and start the rebuild then, lol. In the meantime I would probably just pick up a bunch of cheap veteran bums on 1-year contracts and try to conquer MOUNT .500. No team has ever made MOUNT .500 look more daunting doe.

Brick

yeah they very bad. to me they are a likeable enough team tho. bryant seems like a big chode but he barely plays anyway. BUM.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
But they also kept signing terrible long contracts during that time lol.
I think you're overstating how bad the contracts are. Obviously, Bryant's contract is a boat anchor. But the only other long-term contracts they have are McMahon, Freeland, and Senzatela (of course, they are still paying $5 million a year to Nolan because lol Rockies). Ideally, you have none of those guys on long-term contracts, but it's only 4 players. For all his faults, Monfort will spend money on players, so I don't think those contracts really limit them that much (in other words, OOTP is not real life). The bigger issue is that nobody is going to give you anything good for those players and the farm system is not that talented. So you don't have a way to rebuild the team outside of the draft.

The thing that annoys me right now is that they are still playing a bunch of olds instead of going with a full youth movement. Why are both our catchers over 30? Why do we have someone named Jake Cave on the roster? Etc.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
I'm looking in the contract section

Freeland: Conditional opt-out after 2024
McMahon: Conditional opt-outs after 2025 and 2026

I assume these are player or playing time based opt-outs so the Rockies are stuck with theses BUMS unless they overperform or the Rockies suck so bad that they would rather take less to play for a team chasing MOUNT .500

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I don't know man, those are big contracts for players that are pretty old. Not at all where you want to be heading into a rebuild.
Listen, for sure. The contracts suck and you don't want to have them. The Rockies deluded themselves into thinking that they were competitive and that these players were good enough to invest that amount of money in.

The Rockies aren't going to be competitive until 2027 at the absolute earliest, though, so I just don't think it matters that much. The bigger issue is the shitty farm system. That's what makes this a really long rebuild.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
The Rockies contracts and roster are worse than anything @Reel or @bruin @bruin228 managed to fuck up in the WBL, which is really kind of amazing since @Reel had some 20 range DH playing Center Fielder and @bruin228 only drafted 80/80 SEC speed dudes who couldn't figure out which end of the bat to swing with. I made it like a month into the season and realized that half my fuckin payroll was dead money for the next 5 years and just quit. What the Rockies need to do is time travel to 2028 or 2029 and start the rebuild then, lol. In the meantime I would probably just pick up a bunch of cheap veteran bums on 1-year contracts and try to conquer MOUNT .500. No team has ever made MOUNT .500 look more daunting doe.

1714060672986.png

1714060631175.png

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Listen, for sure. The contracts suck and you don't want to have them. The Rockies deluded themselves into thinking that they were competitive and that these players were good enough to invest that amount of money in.

The Rockies aren't going to be competitive until 2027 at the absolute earliest, though, so I just don't think it matters that much. The bigger issue is the shitty farm system. That's what makes this a really long rebuild.

I agree with you that it wouldn't be the biggest deal if it was the only problem. It's just the cherry on top that prevented me from even caring about THE SIM until 2028/2029. That's depressing enough in THE SIM when I can just speed sim on through, but ma'godson might be in high school before he'll even have a chance to #BLESS the Rockies.